Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Where Did I Go Wrong?

Stars $615 Bahamas satellite. Top 11 get the $12K trip and seat, next ten get their money back. 225 players start the thing.

Down to 70. Average stack is 7K. Blinds are 100/200. I have ~10K in the BB with AQs.

Lagish MP open pushes allin for 2K. Table maniac/bully/big stack smooth calls from the button.

Item #1.: I call.

Flop comes down 2/T/Q rainbow.

Item #2: I check.

Button pushes. As I said, he has me covered.

Item #3: I call.

Sigh.

Three items, three mistakes?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Where Did I Go Wrong?

Well, I guess by your post you lost the hand.

Tough hand to play, but somehow when there's an allin push
and a flat call, I just might be able to let this one go, especially when I have positional disadvantage. If folding
is correct it can't be by much.

Bruce
Old 11-26-2005, 10:22 PM

I actually like all three 'items' in a regular tourny and expect to see A10s/KQs out of table bully alot more than the 1010 or whatever he had.

Don't have much experience in the big supersats, so I can't really tell. If this was an 11r mid-stage, I'd play the same.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like all three 'items' in a regular tourny and expect to see A10s/KQs out of table bully alot more than the 1010 or whatever he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was thinking that being a satellite should have made it easier to get away.

He had KK, by the way. And while the smooth call was a ballsy play, I'd say it's at least close to being bad.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough hand to play, but somehow when there's an allin push
and a flat call, I just might be able to let this one go, especially when I have positional disadvantage. If folding
is correct it can't be by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth is, my ability to get away from these situations has made me a lot of money in tournaments over the last couple of years.

It's just AQs, but I just cannot see folding it preflop here, especially if there is at least SOME chance that the villain will look to check down to try to eliminate the other player (who turned out to have A4s, by the way).

I had a good solid stack, I always feel like I have some sort of edge over the remaining field, and, even in this tough spot, I really feel like I should have been able to get away from this hand in this spot.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:49 PM

I really don't see how you can call this preflof get away from it on this flop and action. Think you played it fine, and if you could have done anything different it was preflop.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:13 PM

I fold this preflop. The flat call looks like a monster to me.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop. The flat call looks like a monster to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Colson, I respect your play. We have tangled a good number of times (ERaddock), and I know that you have put in the time to be able to make such statements.

That said, remember, we're talking about the one guy at the table for whom your theory is immediately mitigated. He was the guy who could easily have pocket sixes or ace-jack here.

In any event, I was kicking myself for not sticking with the perspective that you have outlined here, sir. Naturally, it was one of my first thoughts, but was then replaced by the desire to call.

Let me ask you--what about post-flop?

Perhaps a bet with the intent to fold if raised? That seems awfully weak, given the fact that I played the hand in the first place.

If not that, and obviously not a push, I am left with...what I did.

Which sucked, as you might recall.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:55 PM

The button flat-call has me confused as well as I'd normally expect an isolation move here.

Guess it depends on the buy-in, table dynamics and player in question but even with a monster, wouldn't you look to get heads-up and not play big pockets muti-way.

Unless of course, the button isn't too worried about the blinds waking up with a hand. What's the buttons plan when an Ace flops, muck the Kings, just seems "risky" to me, but I'm glad for the discussion, just sorry to see it come about at the expense of a bust!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 PM

In a tournament where the real prize is for the Top 5% of players, I'm coming over the top all-in preflop here.