Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 AM

Default AK Early Tourney - Getting away from it.

AK in the CO, only 7 players at the table (2 are away, one seat empty). Blinds 15-30, my stack around 1900, UTG stack around 4000.

One UTG limper big stack, I raise 4xbb, BB calls and UTG calls.

Flop is 6A7.

I make a half pot cb, he min raises, I call. He checks the turn and I make a 3/4 pot bet, he moves me all in and I call.

UTG shows 76, makes a full house on the river.

Anyway to avoid hands like this?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: AK Early Tourney - Getting away from it.

ask yourself what your opponent may have to make such a bet
Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 AM

I did, and the answer was Ace-x. He was big stack early because he played crap cards and got idiots to go all in against him. I saw him show down an ace with a 6 kicker on one hand, and middle pair on another.

His UTG limp further said to me something like Ace-8, Ace-9. It wouldnt make sense that he limped with 76o and called 3xBB more with it OOP. But he did :P

Only thing I was worried about was Ace-6, Ace-7, and by the turn I was thinking about how I was going to get all my chips in.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:57 AM

I think his agression could make me think he hit a set on the flop. You said he was a big stack so I could see him playing pocket pairs, even to a raise.

Personally, I think it would be hard to get away from this hand, though I'm not the best of players.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:04 AM

ur line was fine, dont expect this to happen often coz he needs to hit the flop hard to profit at all.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:44 AM

what we see here is the benefit of being a LAG. this guy could very well be a donkey getting lucky, or he could be a very good player.

a good LAG will take a line just like this guy did, and he'll get called because people are thinking 'this guy is a lucky donk.'

onyour line... when you get check raised twice you need to start thinking something bad might happen if you call.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 AM

What was the turn?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Turn was a brick, a trey if I remember.

By the time he check-raised me the 2nd time I had maybe 600 chips left and the pot was up to around 2k, by that time there wasnt much left for me to do.

The check-raise minimum on the flop I thought was simply him putting me on a pair of 10s or so and re-raising with his ace-x. But sadly, was not the case. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 12:42 PM

Maybe, check behind on the turn after being checkraised on the flop.

You almost have odds to call the checkraise on the turn even if you know what villain's hand is.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:51 PM

Good post, I have usually gone up in flames on hands like these also. I think I've made progress in being able to sometimes get away from them. Here's show I see it. I think my chip counts are right:

Now after he check raises you on the flop, you have ~1400 left and the pot is 1060. On the turn, he checks to you. You bet half your stack ( ~700) and he c/r's you all in....you are facing a $700 call with a pot of
3150 or so, or 4.5 / 1.

Although it's possible Villain is maniacal, he has given you two strong clues you are behind, the most important being the min raise on the flop. MInimum raises are a huge red flag to me. The turn c/r is also huge of course. He's not bluffing.

After the turn check raise, I would have to put him on A6, A7, 66, 77, 0r 67. ( 66 and 77 are the least likely, he'd probably slow play them). You are drawing really thin or dead right now.

I think he'd be calling down, not checkraising, with TPMK like AT, no?

If you fold you are still in reasonable shape. In this situation I have virtually always regretted calling. Take your medicine and fold. You were deep enough (barely) to get the info you needed to get out of this.

BTW I think you played it fine. If you checked behind on the turn and he put you all in on the river, it would be a tougher fold, as he looks like he might be bluffing.

BTW with his image, calling your PF raise is not horrible if he thinks he can stack you or BB. He closes the action after all, preflop. Making this call for 3% of his stack means he is getting about 15/1 on your stack. Not a horrible play against two players and closing the action. ( I wouldn't make it though ).