Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Default KQo early on in a $5 + .50

I limp a lot of decent hands early since I find people will call down anything early on in these. How's my play here? Should I have pushed or folded at any point here? Villain has been playing very aggressive, but just got tricky limping AKs and knocking some guy out with A5o after he slowplayed when an A hit on the flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t1380)
MP1 :#A500AF(Villain)/ (t1800)
MP2 (t1645)
MP3 (t885)
Hero (t1730)
Button (t1610)
SB (t3320)
BB (t3010)
UTG (t1250)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t175) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t225</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t175.

Turn: (t975) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

River: (t1575) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t980</font>, Villain calls t730.

Final Pot: t3535
Old 10-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: KQo early on in a $5 + .50

I'm probably getting it in on the flop. It doesn't feel like he's going to fold this one. After that, no problem.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:49 PM

In reading the line, I think you misplayed that. My guess is that he either had 55, 88, or you sucked out when you hit a better 2 pair. Of course, this is a $5, so he could really have anything.

His reraise on the flop should mean that he has a pair of kings beaten. Cut your losses at this point, and wait for a better spot- this isnt a turbo.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:12 PM

I think 80% of the time you have this hand won, maybe more (at this level of buy-in). He could very easily have K9o, because these $5s are full of donks.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His reraise on the flop should mean that he has a pair of kings beaten.

[/ QUOTE ] Or that he has 76o, of KJ, or that he's an unskilled LAG with a propensity to re-raise every time he's raised, not matter what he's holding.

I'm in the same tournament, and I witnessed a LAG with a big stack re-raise from the BB holding K3, CRing a low flop, and - bet into - pushing a K turn, all still on level 3.

This early on and without a prior history with a player in a $5 there's pretty much only guesswork left. These tournaments do not play like deep stack hi buy-in tournaments.

Hero is shooting himself in the knee by limping preflop, that's for sure. He can be up against any two at this point; from Villain's perspective Hero's preflop actions do not support a history of holding a strong K.

A certain amount of times Hero's going to bust out to a flopped set, but most of the time he'll be ahead, and most likely double up.

Compare the situation to a coinflip where Hero is at a small advantage. Against a Villain that's shown LAGgie tendencies on more than one occasion this early in the tournament Hero will find himself ahead far more often than behind, getting much better odds.

Push the flop.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 PM

*** SHOW DOWN ***
Scary_Tiger: shows [Qd Kc] (two pair, Kings and Queens)
Otacon75: shows [Kd Th] (a pair of Kings)
Scary_Tiger collected 3535 from pot
Otacon75 said, "last card"

You and McMelchior were the closest. I tried to explain to him that the last card didn't matter, but he didn't decide to have a conversation.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to explain to him that the last card didn't matter, but he didn't decide to have a conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad strategy.

Please don't berate the donks.

Everybody is so much happier without it.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 10-30-2005, 05:26 PM

Yes, I realize that, I was just a little tilted by the comment.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same tournament, and I witnessed a LAG with a big stack re-raise from the BB holding K3, CRing a low flop, and - bet into - pushing a K turn, all still on level 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, I have a hard time against players like this because they have no reasoning. Saw one guy call an all in with KQo for 2/3rds of his stack on a AJ4 board because "a 10 gives me a straight". He didn't hit his 10. Another guy knocked me out with AKo when he raised from EP, I had TT on the sb, and figured I'd call and push any non ace non king flop. Flop came all lower cards, I push, he instacalls with AKo and hits his ace on the river knocking me out. Saw yet another guy with 66 limp into the hand, then called someone who went all in with the board showing TKQ with 2 diamonds.

I should appreciate players like this, but for some reason I don't. Have had a bad run this weekend, I need to get my head back on straight.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:15 PM

I got knocked out, one limper to me, I push with 77, get called by the limper's 44. Flop Q4Q.

Didn't have many chips left anyways though.

And it was okay, since about two orbits prior, guy was folded to, limped, I pushed on the button, and he had AA vs my KT. I win that hand naturally.