Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Borgata & cell phones

First of all I'd like to say I'm not one of those people who will talk on their cell phone at a poker table. But my question is, does anyone with Cingular get good reception in the Borgata's poker room? I have T-Mobile, and I get no reception down there. I own my own business, and would like to be better connected so I can step away from the table if the need arises. I see a ton of people on their phones, so I'm curious to who their provider is. I am not a fan of those fielding call after call, and the wimpy dealers who won't tell them to step away from the table. But it would be nice to put my phone on silent mode and screen calls for important ones.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Borgata & cell phones

i have a Treo 650 on Cingular, and I get reception in the poker room - the closer you are to the escalators, the more bars you'll have, sometimes back near the cage and towards the far wall it goes in and out

i also have a Sprint phone which gets absolutely no reception until i'm most of the way up the escalator
Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 AM

Thanks, I'm switching over.

I guess that says something about me that I will switch to a more expensive cell phone plan for my poker habit...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 AM

Nextel is the only one that I know that works everywhere in the poker room. I have Verizon and can't get a signal for anything down there. It's a problem for me b/c if my phone is off, it's a "tell" that I'm in AC which is problematic for various reasons (friends, family, etc know it when sometimes I just want to take a quick, no frills trip down there w/o letting the world know). Also, having cell service would be much more convenient.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nextel is the only one that I know that works everywhere in the poker room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, forgot about that one, had a Nextel too up until '05 and it worked everywhere.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM

I have cingular/ATT, get pretty good reception in most spots down there. The alcove by the bathrooms/near the elevators works well and usually a little more quite.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:08 PM

i've got verizon...and the only thing i get is a dead battery in like 45 mins
Old 10-04-2005, 05:13 PM

You have to shut those Verizon phones off when they go analog (Borgata basement) or you will quickly drain the battery. Otherwise Verizon has the best overall service quality in the country.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 PM

My T-Mobile MPx220 does the same thing. It actively searches for a signal, which drains the battery at an alarming rate.

One more question for the Cingular owners. Do you get a serviceable signal in the high limit room? Like I said, I'm not looking to talk on the phone, but it would be great to see who is calling and to be able to check my email while the donators are playing way too many hands.

Thanks!
-Web
Old 10-04-2005, 05:34 PM

Mild hijack: What games can normally be expected to run in the "high limit" room on a typical weekend?

In the past I've played 10/20 in there, but during a particularly busy weekend (right before the WPT event) I played 20/40 out on the main floor by the cage.