Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 02:02 AM

Default How do deal with this guy

So we have a regular 1/2 limit game usually 6-9 players. It has been going good for a while now. I now am faced with a new problem... This guy we'll call cheapo has started a new game plan. Cheapo, after having lost big a couple of times lately ($100), now decides that when he is up 40 or 50 he quits. Which kinda puts a damper on the game. After trying to explain my concern to him he states, "if you let me take cash off the table and continue to play I will but I am trying to protect my bankroll." Yeah on of those guys. Any ideas would be appreciated do to the small amount of players it is hard to loose one guy. Also, do any of you let people take cash off the table when your playing limit, without making them quit all together?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: How do deal with this guy

I wouldn't worry about it. In the long run, this guy is going to lose much more than he wins with that strategy. He'll never win more than $40, but he can lose $100 each session.

As for taking chips off the table, I never allow it at my game. It's not allowed in most games. I don't even let players sell chips to each other, you must buy them from the bank.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:26 AM

If he's really a big donator then why not cater to him? If he's up 20 bucks let him take it off the table if that keeps him around to lose the 100 he leaves on the table. Just make sure he leaves a minimum buy-in.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:27 AM

that's a good idea I guess I always thought it was easy to have some cash rather than a montain of chips but now that I think about it it doens't matter that much.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:27 AM

the guy wants to take chips off the table in a $1/2 limit game? is he some sort of assface?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy wants to take chips off the table in a $1/2 limit game? is he some sort of assface?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly that kinda guy but what do you do can't ban him the game actually needs him. Real loose player just can't keep him in long enough for him to give it back sometimes.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So we have a regular 1/2 limit game usually 6-9 players. It has been going good for a while now. I now am faced with a new problem... This guy we'll call cheapo has started a new game plan. Cheapo, after having lost big a couple of times lately ($100), now decides that when he is up 40 or 50 he quits. Which kinda puts a damper on the game. After trying to explain my concern to him he states, "if you let me take cash off the table and continue to play I will but I am trying to protect my bankroll." Yeah on of those guys. Any ideas would be appreciated do to the small amount of players it is hard to loose one guy. Also, do any of you let people take cash off the table when your playing limit, without making them quit all together?

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly don't let him take cash off the table (also known as "rat-holing"). But if he wants to quit playing when he's up, I don't see any problems. By doing so he's only limiting his own winning potential. Perhaps he needs to find a lower stakes game. I would seriously consider whether you want this guy in your group though.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:15 AM

Well you're playing limit, so who cares about ratholing? Tell him not to leave early, but feel free to take $50 off the table when he's up. He'll still probably go on to lose his original buy in after that, but feel better about himself having "saved" $50. Everybody wins.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:19 PM

Personally I wouldn't let him take money off of the table. What if he sucked out on one of your better regulars and scooped up a big pot as a result. Sure you don't see a big deal in letting him take $50 off the table, but your regular won't see it the same way. When your regular finally busts him, he will know he could have taken that extra $50 back too if you had not let him take that money off of the table.

Now you will get your regular threatening to leave because you wanted to make this asshat happy...
Old 09-25-2005, 08:36 PM

I would absolutely agree with you if this was NL. But in limit, how would "the regular finally bust him"? By getting 8 hands in a row heads-up with him and winning them all? In limit, he'll usually lose his $$$ to the rest of the table collectively. Given a choice between having him leave the table altogether after one suckout hand, or having him put a few bucks away and stick around to donate for a while, I'll take the latter.