Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Should I move to Stars?

Whats up?

I currently play at pokerroom. Lately I had to cash out most of my bankroll due to insufficient funds for other things.

My question is...pokerroom (and PP) has to many crazy players at the $5-10 SnG level.

Would it be a good idea to switch to Stars, arent the players a bit smarter there?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Should I move to Stars?

No it wouldn't because they are.

Lori
Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM

I also play at pokerroom and find the 5s and 10s to be very easy to beat. I have a more difficult time at PP because of the blind structure, or more accurately, my inability to adjust to it.

Not trying to be a jackass but if you can't beat the 5+.50s at pokerroom you likely have several serious flaws in your game and should read as much on here and post as many hands as you can. These games shouldn't be difficult.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is...pokerroom (and PP) has to many crazy players at the $5-10 SnG level.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is called 'dead money' and it is what makes poker profitable for you. The fewer crazies that are in a game the more difficult it is to win money.

A lot of players (myself included even six months back) feel that if they didn't have the erratic/loose/maniac/etc. players in the game, then they could do better because their opponents would respect their raises/play smarter/not crack their pairs with garbage hands/etc. The facts are that this is where your easiest money comes from over the long term.

While the players at Poker Stars might be slightly better overall, you want your opponents to be as bad as possible for you to make you the most money.

It's frustrating to get knocked out of 6 tournaments in a row when you get your chips into the pot as a 3-1 favorite or more, but those are the situations you want and you get them most often from the less experienced players.

Don't go looking for tougher competition thinking that it will improve your results.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:20 PM

well said sidekick.

if you are having trouble with 5.50 and 11 tourneys, at pokerroom or elsewhere, the problem lies in your game.

It is likely you havent developed/refined the ability to get away from a hand. People ARE drawing at you more in lower buyins, so the trick is to charge them to do it, but not pay them off when their hand improves. Concetrate on improving your "6th sence" for this kind of situation (unexpected action from odd table positions)
Old 02-24-2005, 01:24 AM

Well thanks for the replies, but no.

I was thinking about stars only becuase there not as friggin stupid.

This is really strange. I guess Im having a huge swing right now if i cant win at 11's, You know loosing AK to A2, or AK to KJo. I lost 4 today, and got 3rd in one (basically lost).

I can beat the 22's and 33's, but the roll wont allow right now. Back to work I guess.

P.S. Anyone have any words of wisdom to boost my confidence back up.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant win at 11's

[/ QUOTE ]

and then...

[ QUOTE ]

I can beat the 22's and 33's, but the roll wont allow right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I don't get... I mean, seriously, if you can't beat the 11s, I am 99% sure you cannot beat higher levels. I used to buy into the theory that "oh they're so bad and always suck out on me. I can't against these terrible players." But think about it... players at this level are consistently puting their chips in pots with you when the odds are against them to win the hand. Over time, if you're decent, you should not only beat these levels but crush them. I don't know many people on here who will disagree with me.

So again I say, if you're having trouble at these levels, then you have a leak in your game. I'm not saying that you're a bad player, just that some parts of your game probably need fixing. I don't know anyone who can't say this about themselves. Post some hands on here and I'll gaurantee you get responses and if you can learn from them, start crushing the 11s.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:50 AM

Well you have to understand, I just started playing 11's about 3 days ago (becuase I cashed out). You cant just assume thing (be to much to get into detail).

Also I said I must be having a huge downsing, Ive never had one so its really hitting me hard, i guess thats it.

Thanks anyway.

EDIT:
Just checked my pokerroom stats:
Mixed $20 and $30 SnG's, played 16, got in the money in 12.

excluding empire, dont play there anymore.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:51 AM

If you're going to use stats to back up your position, try to have more than 16 sngs played.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:32 AM

check out the blind structures between the two. poker stars is better hands down for tight aggresive.