Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

View Poll Results: 77
Fold 11 42.31%
Call 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: open raising trash on the button

I'm talking about hands with less value, you should obviously raise your premium hands. I'm talking about hands that are fairly weak but can flop big. Also this applies more to pf. Say you pick up 44 or KTs on the button and raise 4xBB and the BB reraises 20BB's(and stacks are such that you don't have the implied odds to call), you're forced to fold what is probably the best hand. If the same thing happens when you hold T8o, you can cheerfully muck the worst hand. I guess another way to put it would be don't raise hands that will make you puke if you're reraised. JMO
Old 12-28-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as blind play goes, NEVER just complete your blind if you and BB are HU, always raise or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I complete all the time and find it profitable. When I hit he flop I bet. When I dont hit the flop I bet and take it down more than half the time. Between hitting the flop and taking it down by being the first to put money in the pot I find that this is a money making situation.

When I start raising pots in the blind I find that all of a sudden the BB does not want to let go of the pot when you breath on it, and all of a sudden you are playing larger pots out of position. I am not saying never raise, but I dont see why I have to raise EVERY time when I am doing just fine with as is.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Why give him a free flop? Your method and mine both cost about the same, I'm just taking my stab before he can see if the flop helps him. I'm assuming your making a PSB on the flop every time. JMO
Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 PM

This post is far too vague to give any specific, concrete advice.

That said, I will give a vague giudeline I play by.

Deciding to open-raise PF with the intent to steal the blinds is balanced by 2 main things. The likelyhood that the steal will succeed, and how comfortable I am if it fails.

The primary consideration of the first is the opposition. Of the second, your hand & position.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:44 PM

This really comes down to the players you're playing against with. If they are tight this is great, if not you're probably spewing chips.

Mixing it up and doing it every now and again is good to keep the blinds from murdering you, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why give him a free flop? Your method and mine both cost about the same, I'm just taking my stab before he can see if the flop helps him. I'm assuming your making a PSB on the flop every time. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people take someone that only either raises or folds there blind in a heads up sb/bb situation personal. They are gonna start making plays at the sb in position, and pulling all kinds of other stuff. When someone starts doing this to me I start 3 betting in position with all kinds of stuff like suited connectors that I would have just checked, so I am guilty of this myself. I would say probably 80% of the time they stop doing it without a good hand after realizing I will 3 bet them and abuse my position. The really bad and the really good players dont stop, everyone else does. I hardly ever fight back at the button, but if I have positon I will fight.

I do make a psb on a limped flop 80% of the time. I wont do it on a board like 7-8-9 because there are too many cards that could call the bet.

I have found that people get worked up when someone constantly raises their blind in a heads up blind/blind situation but have no problem letting it go if they get to see the flop. Even if they flop middle pair they might not want to get involved with so little in the pot. If it was a raised pot this same person might re-raise.

I hope this makes sense. I think your method is good but there are other blind/blind methods out there, and this one has worked for me.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:29 PM

Can someone please tell me what 'psb' stands for?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 PM

pot sized bet
Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This really comes down to the players you're playing against with. If they are tight this is great, if not you're probably spewing chips.

Mixing it up and doing it every now and again is good to keep the blinds from murdering you, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
x2