Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Bubble Hand in Stars 180. Stop and Go?

Here's a hand I had recently I'm wondering maybe the spot for a stop and go. For me it was an easy push, but a player/friend in my home game disagreed. He said he would call and then fire at any flop without an A or K on it (essentially a stop and go).

I'm at work -- which is deadsville, hece the post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so I'm gonna have to create the HH from memory, but here's the situation. There's 20 left in a Stars $20, 180-person SNG. I've only had one FT in this and I got ninth in this. I'm determined to stay aggressive and shoot for the big money, not worry about cashing.

Blinds 300/600/75 ante
I'm in BB and get 66. My stack is ~9700

Villan is UTG+1 and raises to 1800
His stack ~10000 AFTER the raise.

My thinking was it was the bubble and if I push, he probably goes away. His stack size was vunerable mid-stack like HOH suggests. And I wasn't going to call another 1200, leaving me with 7500. Honestly, I never even thought about calling. However, that's what my friend immediately said he would do "but your're a lot more aggressive than me!"

Results, if that matters, are pretty obvious. Villan thought a LONG time and called with AK suited. I think my read was right, he would have laid down most other hands except for like, top 5 or 6.

Flop, interstingly was AQQ, which may have been purfect for a stop and go?

If you had elected to stop and go, would you follow up and push on this flop? The problem, I guess, is that if I was in the UTG raisers' seat I would think "if he had a Q, why would he push? I raised, he knows I will bet if checked to."..
Old 12-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Bubble Hand in Stars 180. Stop and Go?

[ QUOTE ]
Results, if that matters, are pretty obvious. Villan thought a LONG time and called with AK suited. I think my read was right, he would have laid down most other hands except for like, top 5 or 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trouble is, if Villain is that weak tight, he probably isn't raising many hands UTG+1 that aren't top 5 or 6. I would just fold 66 to an EP raise, but calling and firing at a flop that you think missed Villain isn't a bad idea. AQQ would not be once such flop.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:42 PM

FWIW, I think you need some info on UTG+1. Is he loose, raising a lot, or has he been sitting back. In low limit tourneys you run into a lot of opponents who just won't fold PF if they have chips in the pot. Thats when I use the Stop & Go. No sence pushing your chips in if you opponent can't let go of KT. Thats when I use it.

You mentioned no read on villian, and I think that needs to be your primary concern with a hand as weak as 66. Also, any hand that raises EP is 50% or better to your pair, so you really don't want a call.

No way would I go with flop of AQQ, check fold.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:57 PM

noone else offer an opinion? Does anyone fold or just call?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:05 PM

I think this is a pretty easy fold to an EP raise unless I thought he was trying to steal. If that were the case, I don't know. I don't like calling and firing out a bet only to fold to a raise because of your stack size. I think a pre-flop raise would be your only possibility. I would even consider making a normal raise (not a push) and pushing the flop - I wouldn't do this all the time but it's a pretty strong move that represents AA/KK. 9 out of 10 times (or more) I'd just fold pre-flop in this situation.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:41 AM

thanks Lloyd. In retrospect, I think I should have folded. I really wasn't taking into account that it came from such early position, so it had to be a pretty decent hand that is likely to call.