Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Getting great odds, but...

I've waited too long to post this hand, and therefore have lost the hand history, but I have all of the details, and I will attempt to make it readable.

This hand took place in the middle stages of a $5.50 Full Tilt Poker NL Hold 'Em MTT. It's still far from the money. The relevant stacks:
Hero (MP2) 4710
Villain #1 (MP1) 4210
Villain #2 (BB) 1870

Blinds are 60/120

Dealt to Hero 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Pre Flop:

1 fold, UTG+1 calls 120, Villain #1 calls 120, Hero calls 120, 4 folds, Villain #2 raises 600 to 720, UTG+1 folds, Villain #1 calls, Hero calls

Flop
Pot(2340) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain #2 checks, Villain #1 checks, Hero checks

It baffled me that Villain #2 didn't just bet his remaining 1150. It seemed to me that this was AQ or AK attepmting a slowplay.

Turn
Pot(2340) (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain #1 checks, Villain #2 bets 500, Hero calls 500

This was, in my opinion, where I really botched the hand. For some reason, even though Villain #1's line was incredibly suspicious, and even though I had no idea of Villain #2's hand at all, I called the bet, leading to this ugly situation:

Villain #2 raises 550 to 1150 and is all in, Villain #1 calls 550, Hero ...

The pot is laying me 4940:550 or 8.98:1 on a call, but Villain #2's line of betting nearly a third his stack preflop and then waiting until two players are pot committed to raise would seem to me to be at least 90% of the time something that beats 99. In addition, I had no idea of Villain #1's hand, and I had him covered by only 500. If he has a hand that beats me, I will almost always have to face a river bet for the rest of his stack (2440 of the 2940 I'd have left), which I'd be compelled to call.

It's not hard to figure out from the preceding paragraph that I folded to the bet, so I ask, was it a reasonable play, or terrible fold? I won't post the results in this thread, but if you're really curious, PM me and I will tell you.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Getting great odds, but...

I would fold preflop, given size of stack, wouldn't make enough often enough to be worthwhile if flopped a set given only 3-handed