Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Stars 500 hand

Blinds 3000-6000. Ante 300. Maybe 30 left or so. I don't have the exact details.

Villian is gambler21 if that means anything. Hero has 100k, Villian has 150k.

Hero and villain have had a few interesting SBvsBB. Hero is BB in these spots.

First time, small blind limped, hero blew him off with a big raise - obviously.

Second time, sb, raised, hero reraised and took it down. Third time, sb opened, hero folded.

Fourth time (and maybe 10 rounds later or so) sb completes. Hero has Jd 9d and checks.

Flop 10c 9h 7s. Villian bets half the pot is around 8000 or so. Hero calls. (24000 in the pot). Turn 6c. Villian checks, Hero bets 15000. Villian thinks and makes it 30,000 total.

Hero folds.

Comments?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Stars 500 hand

I hate your turn bet, seems pretty unlikely to get a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call and it gets you blown off a nice-ish draw. Often worse hands will bet the river here and calling will cost you about the same 15k betting the turn did, but you will win a much higher percent of the time.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 AM

You keep folding to his aggression. Blind vs. Blind should be viewed the same as heads-up. I agree with MLM that the turn bet was bad when you had a free card coming to get your inside str8 draw; but on the flop, I dislike your call. Raise or fold. You've partially hit the flop and thus far, you've folded to his aggression but haven't shown much yourself, and when you have shown it he's come back at you and you've folded.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 AM

I have no problem with calling the flop here. Raising the flop will build a big pot against hands that beat you, but you have to call against since you have like 9 outs, and fold out worse hands. There's nothing wrong with playing a decent made hand+decent draw in a passive manner here.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:37 AM

I agree, MLG. nice little rhyme there that should be used often.

Sounds like JV's been pounding him pretty hard, seems like a nice spot to take the pedal off the gas, too.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:43 AM

The two most obvious/best decisions were the preflop check and the flop call. Hard to argue with those two.

And exactly right with the turn. The best sucks. You've reached the same conclusions I did.

I bet the turn because I was afraid of having to make a tough fold on the river. Which is an example of "easy way" out syndrome.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I bet the turn because I was afraid of having to make a tough fold on the river. Which is an example of "easy way" out syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

it costs you probably the same as your turn bet to see a showdown anyways. he can fire with a lot on the river, and plus, if you hit anything like a 9 or an 8, you can raise for value, maybe even a J. betting the turn just lets him get off a bluff, or worse yet, try to blow you off your hand
Old 11-29-2005, 04:09 AM

With <30 remaining Gamble21's MO seemed to be to reraise any Strassa EP raise - he did it 3 or 4 times. Meaning - with hindsight - I'd give his raises a lot less respect.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:59 AM

So, who are you? I can just ask for the HH as I'm 95% sure I was at the table for most of this [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-Jason
Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 AM

I was instructing KevMike. That is not my stars name though. I'd like to talk some about the tourney since we both went far.