Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: The \"M\" word??? Help settle a bet.

this one white dude in my frat used to have curly hair like a black guy and we called him mulatto.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

My ex completely wigged on me one night when I used this term. My reaction was similar to yours, I'm sure. I was pretty sure she was crazy. It turns out she was somewhat correct, if a bit dramatic. If you think of the origin, it's easy to see why it is offensive.

Actually, she was kind of crazy too.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jewess is the best antiquated word along these lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking to my father awhile ago about my parents' recent vacation to Jamaica. He was telling me how an NFL player was staying at the resort at the same time with his wife. My mother overheard the conversation and called out from the other room "She was very pretty...but I can't remember, was she white or a negress?"
Old 09-29-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I ended up using the word "mulatto" to describe someone. One of my friends got all nervous and offended and told me that word is just as bad as the "n" word and that I should be ashamed of myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
The safe term according to my cousin (whose mom is Italian and dad is Black) is "mixed race".
Old 09-29-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Beautifully done.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 AM

I've been taught in a textbook what a mulatto is. No textbook told me to call blacks "n-words."
Old 09-29-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jewess is the best antiquated word along these lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking to my father awhile ago about my parents' recent vacation to Jamaica. He was telling me how an NFL player was staying at the resort at the same time with his wife. My mother overheard the conversation and called out from the other room "She was very pretty...but I can't remember, was she white or a negress?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You win.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dictionary.com entry nor the wikipedia entry makes any mention of prejudice or malice.
-tpir

Edit: There is a small mention of the term being possibly offensive in the wikipedia article.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it doesnt say it is possibly offensive. it says it is offensive to some english speakers.

one of the flaws in people’s reasoning on this board is to try an defend their viewpoint by using dictionary definitions to back their logic. definitions are so rigid that they don’t take into account the actual connotations that the word takes on. huge pet peeve of mine.

mulatto in the English language is an antiquated term and if you don’t want to sound like your grandparents and you don’t want to risk needlessly offending anyone, try a more contemporary term.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dictionary.com entry nor the wikipedia entry makes any mention of prejudice or malice.
-tpir

Edit: There is a small mention of the term being possibly offensive in the wikipedia article.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it doesnt say it is possibly offensive. it says it is offensive to some english speakers.

one of the flaws in people’s reasoning on this board is to try an defend their viewpoint by using dictionary definitions to back their logic. definitions are so rigid that they don’t take into account the actual connotations that the word takes on. huge pet peeve of mine.

mulatto in the English language is an antiquated term and if you don’t want to sound like your grandparents and you don’t want to risk needlessly offending anyone, try a more contemporary term.

[/ QUOTE ]

what would that term be? I'm feeling pretty ignorant as I didn't realize the connotations of 'mulatto'.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-tpir

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what would that term be? I'm feeling pretty ignorant as I didn't realize the connotations of 'mulatto'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the PC term is Caucafrican.