Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Do I need to quit boozin?

mix in some cocaine for variety
Old 09-26-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a lot for your situation. Why do you think you drink so much?

On a related note, your wife will get sick of this routine in pretty short order.

You know who OOT needs right about now? Bison, that's who. OOT needs advice in a bad way, it sounds like.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Chief O'Hara! Dash to the roof! Flash the Bison Signal!"

Old 09-26-2005, 12:34 PM

My marriage is not the greatest. We fight, but she loves me.I love her. We were separated for almost a year, a couple of years ago.

I do drink everyday. After work on weekdays, but not as much. I only drink beer.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:39 PM

in all seriousness, anyone who questions whether they need to stop drinking should stop drinking. you don't question it unless you already realize it is hurting parts of your life. beer is not very important in the grand scheme of things.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:42 PM

I was just talking to someone about this recently. Althouhg nowhere near your levels, I'm definitely about to seriously cut back on my drinking. It's been a contributor to my being way too morose lately.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My marriage is not the greatest. We fight, but she loves me.I love her. We were separated for almost a year, a couple of years ago.

I do drink everyday. After work on weekdays, but not as much. I only drink beer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cut down, and by quite a bit to start with. The drinking ain't the core problem, is it, I'm guessing. But drinking this much is not good for you at all in so many ways.

You appear to be deep-down unhappy, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for advice. You need to really, really think about what's troubling you. Something is, your marriage most likely from what you say, but there may be other things - something not finished or not even started maybe, but there's something. Think about what it is. Think about how you can tackle it.

If it's your wife and you not getting along in a way you'd like- don't tackle it head on. Don't just come out with it. Ask your wife to go out with you, do stuff together. You're gonna have to fight the agoraphobia and get out the house - you may need professional help with that specific thing, though.

Try and remember what you used to have fun doing together, maybe revisit that. If it's that you think your marriage needs to be over, go talk to professionals about it. DO NOT listen to anyone on this board who says to finish it - you need to decide that for yourself.

If it's not your marriage that's the core problem, then I'd still do the above - strengthening your marriage will be of great comfort against all sorts of things.

Above all, think about what's deep down troubling you.

You take care now.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:53 PM

When a person asks others and questions himself about his drinking, he/she usually has a problem. I'd like to suggest you go to an AA meeting. You don't have to say a word. Just listen.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to suggest you go to an AA meeting. You don't have to say a word. Just listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a shot on your own first. Try to figure out WHY you're drinking so much. You should probably treat the underlying problem as well as the symptom. The last time i went to an AA meeting (court mandated in my youth) it was so depressing I wanted to immediately go get shitfaced.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:21 PM

Too much, but of course you know that.

You shouldn't drink that much, or drink every day. Sooner or later you're going to have liver problems if you do, and dying of liver disease is supposedly a very awful way to die.

Some people can quit cold turkey, and that's usually the best way, but it doesn't work for a lot of people because you have to really want to quit, and most people don't really deep down want to quit something they enjoy even if it is destroying them. So if you're the taper-down type, how about just giving yourself a simple rule, like, never drink two days in a row? That will give your liver at least some shred of a chance to not be completely polluted. And how about something like, I'll drink a full glass of water for every other beer? You can still get plenty drunk, but you'll piss out more alcohol and have much less of a chance of going to sleep still super-packed with toxins. Which would be better for health and let you wake up feeling not quite as tired or crappy or whatever.

So you should try something either drastic or incremental, as long as it's something.

It can be an unhappy world, but it won't get any happier if you get liver or kidney disease, or cancer, that's for sure. And you are drinking enough to develop brain problems if you keep it up. The last thing you want to do is wind up remembering when you were smarter, and wishing you could think at a level that has become unavailable to you.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely about to seriously cut back on my drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of definitely the post of the day. Pretty much.