Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Aggressive Player Turns Passive

From a live 6/12 hand. The game had been going for less than an hour and I had little previous experience with either of the other two players.

Reads:
SB - Agggressive. Hadn't shown enough hands for me to tell if he was tight or just on a good run of cards.
EP - Typical calling station.

Preflop: I have QQ in the CO.
2 limp. I raise. SB says "Hm, you've been pretty quiet," and calls. 2 limpers call.

Flop: (8 SB) 7, 7, 6 rainbow (4 players)
Check to me. I bet. SB and EP call.

Turn: (5.5 BB) 3 (3 players)
Check to me. I bet. SB and EP call.

River: (8.5 BB) 3 (3 players)
SB bets. EP calls. I ???

Final Pot: 11.5 BB

I was pretty suspicious of the SB because such an aggressive player was playing so slow. I was pretty sure he had JJ or higher. The EP could literally have had any 2 cards PF, but probably wouldn't have called the turn without at least a draw, but would have called down with any small PP. Given the 10-1 pot odds, should I call?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Aggressive Player Turns Passive

I would definitely call. It doesn't look like you're up against a full house. He could be slowplaying kings or aces like you suggest, but I don't think you can be certain enough of that to fold. It could be a lower pocket pair or even an ace (him figuring he'll call with it, so why not bet it.)
Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 PM

Well you sure as heel can't fold this. I would seriously consider a raise here. The calling station have shown no sign of having you beat and the SB might just have 88-JJ.

Why wouldn't he 3-bet KK or AA preflop if he's aggressive? And his fingers must have been twitching to raise you all the way with those hands. I raise and hope that the calling station pays me off. If SB has AA or KK then so be it.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:02 AM

Yeah he kinda played it like someone who had AA and just kept calling to keep the fish in the middle, but like was said earlier, I'd think you'd have seen a raise at some point, or maybe a donkbet on the turn or something. Either way you gotta call. I think you'll win this more than you suspect.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Thanks for all your help. I've been suspecting that I'm becoming more and more weak-tight, but I didn't want to color your opinions.

By the way, I've noticed some people post the results once the hand has been discussed. Does this add any value? Should I add the results?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:15 PM

I don't see SB having AA or KK and not reraising preflop to force decisions on the two early limpers. That being said, I think AK, PP are most likely. I raise expecting any A to call thinking he has a chop.