Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 06:27 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Bitter No More? (problems with SSHE starting hand charts)

I love poker! people run bad and assume what they're doing is wrong! then they do the opposite and win one day and think it's right! that's why I'm always puzzled at how the players on Party do such weird, stupid things! then I realize that they're just associating good luck with doing the right thing and vice versa! that's why they play hands like 74o! because they always win (twice)! I have a friend who will raise the flop if he raised preflop no matter what! it's probably because he won a lot of money when he first started playing like that and now he thinks he's just unlucky or somehow is playing different!

good times!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP!

[/ QUOTE ]

SOO-RRRY!

I didn't read the whole thread before replying, okay!?.. !

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 PM

There is no chart, I just stopped using the one in SSHE. Everything else in the book is great advice, though - it vastly improved my postflop play. I can't give too much away, but if you use everything else you know about poker, you'll do swimmingly. When I bank my first million (not including living expenses and any luxury items I may buy), I'll let everyone else in on what exactly is wrong with it.

That strategy set me back a full year (and I had only been playing seriously for 9 months at the time). I was a 1.5-2 BB winner before I read SSHE, and I'm doing much better now (more than 4BB/hr at 2/4), and I my win rate is much more stable. Ed Miller owes me $384 (which is what I lost from when I started using that preflop strategy, from my StatKing data).

It got to a point where I couldn't even EAT fish for almost three months - I thought it was mocking me (doing the "You can't touch this" dance, like in Shark Tale). I even dropped all the way back down to .25/.50 to try to find my game, and maybe even just play for fun and give up my dream of going pro. Then I noticed that I had to clear a $100 bonus in a week that I had been sitting on for a while, and the only way I could do it was by playing at least 25-30 hours of 2/4 or higher. I coudn't keep doing what I had been so I just decided to try a different style. Needless to say I had a nice salmon dinner the next night, and enjoyed every bite.

So cheer up, everyone who thinks they really are a good, maybe even great player, but their results just aren't showing it - there really is hope!

I am now upgrading my mood level from Bitter (Red) to Sullen (Orange).

- Bitterness is joy with a bad attitude
Old 07-18-2005, 11:20 PM

I love gold!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a 1.5-2 BB winner before I read SSHE, and I'm doing much better now (more than 4BB/hr at 2/4), and I my win rate is much more stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

THis one time, at band camp, we were playing holdem, and my winrate was like 10 BB/100 for like 600 hands.

Chris im beggin u what is ur starting hand chart look like?
Im glad u finaly found the secret to the whole starting hands thing as that is the true secret to poker. I mean everyone knows how to play postflop already.

I just figured winning 2 to 3 bb/100 was running bad. Now i know that i just haveto learn how to play preflop.

One tip i can give about BR management is that whenever i have a winrate that is better than average for the day, i take all the surplus money and just spend i t on expensive dinners and other things to treat myself.

Cause its like free money at that point [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:21 AM

Let's stop posting in this thread and let it dissapear.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One tip i can give about BR management is that whenever i have a winrate that is better than average for the day, i take all the surplus money and just spend i t on expensive dinners and other things to treat myself.

Cause its like free money at that point [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? That's kinda dumb. Whenever I have a winning session (everytime I sit) I just withdraw the profits since I'm far too good at poker to go on a downswing.

Can't wait to see the PF chart after your first million Chris, hope there's some fish left in the sea for me! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I get a copy of your new starting hand chart? I've been having similar problems at lower limits (I have had good results at high limits where people respect my raises) and I need to figure out what's going on.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Good line against a fish [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 01:30 AM

Looks like Shant knows the secret as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Don't worry, it is safe with me.

As a note, as of today I am now an overall WINNER again (after 7 months being underwater). Not by much, but enough to put me in the black.

I am confident that I am a winning player now, at least at the lower limits, instead of never being sure of my abilities. Here is a list of the books I have read (just about, excluding the blackjack and stud ones): http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html, plus others by Brunson, Cloutier (ignored a lot of it), and Hellmuth (ignored a lot of it).

There REALLY is no chart, just rip pp 76-92 out of your copy of SSHE, feed them to your dog, read the loose games section of HEPFAP, and rake in the buxxx. There is something horribly wrong if 2+2ers can't make a HUGE profit against people who play any 2 suited cards, Any Ace, any King, and will call a raise with any Ace.

I take my beats now, but I laugh them off. I know the money is coming my way sooner or later. It used to be when at a great table, I would bust out after taking several horrible beats, buy in again regretting it, bust out again and leave broke. Now I put that money right back on the table, and let it grow until the fish go to sleep (do fish sleep?).

When you really get the hang of holdem (low-limit at least), it is almost like stealing. I had to put a lot of effort into it, but now it all makes sense. This is the only major issue I've had with any 2+2 book (there are some really close plays in examples of rare situations that I've disagreed with, but nothing that would affect your results on a day to day basis).

- Bitterness is joy with a bad attitude
Old 07-19-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no chart, I just stopped using the one in SSHE. Everything else in the book is great advice, though - it vastly improved my postflop play. I can't give too much away, but if you use everything else you know about poker, you'll do swimmingly. When I bank my first million (not including living expenses and any luxury items I may buy), I'll let everyone else in on what exactly is wrong with it.

That strategy set me back a full year (and I had only been playing seriously for 9 months at the time). I was a 1.5-2 BB winner before I read SSHE, and I'm doing much better now (more than 4BB/hr at 2/4), and I my win rate is much more stable. Ed Miller owes me $384 (which is what I lost from when I started using that preflop strategy, from my StatKing data).

[/ QUOTE ]

So my bad preflop advice cost you $384, but my good postflop advice will help you bank a million! That sounds like a pretty good tradeoff to me! So if I owe you the $384 (or, let's say a small percentage of that like 1-5%) then you should definitely owe me a piece of your million! I think one percent is fair!

So from this point forward, let's just say you owe me 1% of your million, or $10,000! You can feel free to pay in monthly installments (with a very reasonable interest rate like, say, 4.25%)! And make sure you deduct the $3.84 I owe you from the first payment!