Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 03:53 PM

Default semibluff on a draw

Was this a terrible play? figured I had about 13 outs with a small possibility for more. villain is semi-loose aggressive

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

SB ($54.5)
BB ($53.9)
UTG ($66.3)
MP ($60.9)
Hero ($52.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($6.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Villain bets 6$ Hero goes all in for 50$. Villain calls

Turn: ($6.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($6.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $100
Old 05-21-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: semibluff on a draw

I could use some help on my semibluffing abilities. Does nobody have a comment on this hand?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:44 PM

I don't like this at all. You do have a lot of outs but there is no reason to put all your money in when you are on the draw, I think here you need to call or fold. The next card could have only costed you 6 dollars, instead you made it another 44. When you are drawing, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you want to see more cards for the cheapest amount possible.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:51 PM

if I call and a blank comes then I'm in a tough spot.

with 13 outs I have a 48.1% chance of hitting one by the river. If I have more outs then I am actually a favorite (over 50%) to hit one of my outs.

If I call here and he has AK and a blank comes on the turn he will bet the pot again. and then I'm pretty screwed...stuck with a very hard decision.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:43 PM

I think this is a clear call - you are definitely just about getting proper odds, and if you hit you will should make some money. He probably bet the pot to make sure a straight OR a flush draw wasn't getting good enough odds, but you had both, so he probly did have AK.

If you called an he checked to you on the turn, then maybe he had AQ and you could take down the pot with a moderate bet.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:53 PM

I guess I was thinking that I had some fold equity here as well. I think there is a good chance this guy is going to fold as he is semi-loose aggressive and could have a variety of hands here. if the worst comes he has a set and will definitely call, and then I still have about 40% chance to win.

if he is bluffing then he is likely to be successful if I just call here.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:03 PM

How about raising to $18. If he has something like JJ he folds. If he calls, you can take the free card at the turn when he checks to you (if you miss).

You see turn and river for $18. If you hit the flush, you have a better chance of getting paid than if you just call the flop.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:11 PM

Thank you very much iceman. That line makes a lot of sense. I knew there was something better than calling down.

I only have one problem now. If I raise him 12$ to 18$ then I have about 30$ left. and the pot is at about 28$. So what happens if he pushes now? I think I have to call don't I?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:19 PM

I think iceman's line is the most commonly suggested one. Raise here ($15, or $18, or whatever you would raise with a strong hand). If he calls, fine, check behind on the turn and you might even be able to get him to bet into you on the river. If he bets the turn again, then time to re-evaluate (call if you think the odds are right). If he re-raises you, you're basically pot committed with such a strong draw so you may as well push (or call all-in).
Old 05-21-2005, 07:04 PM

What legitimate hand would Hero raise to 18$ with here? Two pair?