Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 03-31-2003, 09:11 AM

Default Pot-Limit Question

I host a small game at home for agroup of us. Most of my poker life I have played structured or no-limit games.

A question has come up about an amount that can be bet during a pot-limit game. The question is, when considering the pot-limit, can a person consider his call as part of the pot in determining the amount the raise can be?

For example starting with a small blind of $1 and a big blind of $2 could the first person to act raise by a max of $3 (the money currently in the pot) or by $5 (the money in the put plus the money he puts in to call the big blind).

Old 03-31-2003, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Pot-Limit Question

Raise $5, making the bet $7. You include the money he has to put in to call when calculating the pot amount.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Pot-Limit Question

pudley is right. If you always raise the max the heads-up opponent is always getting 2:1 to call. You put in $7 representing a $2 call and a $5 raise, and the blind is looking at a $10 pot and has to call $5.

But you don't have to do it that way at home if you don't want. Even a $1/$2 blind game can get VERY big VERY quickly. Lets say its raised heads-up PreFlop, bet PostFlop and raised on the turn... PreFlop pot is $15. PostFlop pot is $45. Turn bet is $45, turn raise and call is $90, turn pot size is $270 going into the river...

Nice small game.

The Brits, I understand, play a "half-pot limit" game, effectively giving the calling 3:1 to call and keeping the pots much smaller.

- Louie