Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Should I move to Stars?

Where can someone find out the blind structures?
(without downloading the software, registering an a/c
depositing money and starting to play that is).
Old 02-24-2005, 05:02 AM

IMO, the key to beating low buy-ins is not pushing marginal edges. So you're a 60/40 favorite. Who cares? If you go all-in you'll be called by some idiot who has no idea he'll be out 60% of the time. The problem with that is you're out 40% of the time. You need to adjust for this and punish people when you're a 80/20 favorite.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Anyone have any words of wisdom to boost my confidence back up.

[/ QUOTE ]
The next time you get all-in with AKs against A6o and actually win, you'll feel great.

Slim
Old 02-24-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mixed $20 and $30 SnG's, played 16

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, now play about 200 more and if your stats are still good, they'll actually be worth something. You must understand that 16 SNGs is an extremely small sample size. I'd say it is much more likely that you had a small, well-timed upswing when you started playing these than you are having a downswing now. You have to understand there are people on here who play 16 SNGs in a couple of hours. There are people on here who make a living through SNGs that have had a negative ROI over 16 SNGs (and more than that). 16 is just way too small of a sample size to matter.

This in mind, here are some things you might want to look out for at the $11 level that could be at least partially responsible for your losses.
1)Being too aggressive early when pots aren't significant.
2)Being too loose early, ie playing marginal hands from out of position in the 1st 3 levels of blinds.
3)Not being aggressive enough when there are between 6 and 4 people.

I can't really tell from the examples you gave what your problems are because they were very vague. That's why I asked that you post some hands. AK losing to A6 is bad when there is one card to come on a board that reads AJ84. It's bad when there are 2 cards to come on a board that reads AK3. However, if you got all your chips in pre-flop and blinds are 15-30, we just found a leak.

At pokerroom, at the 5s and 11s, you can almost fold your way to the bubble. I 3-table the 5s (which are even more reckless than the 11s) and have no trouble making the money. I imagine you put a lot of thought into each play at the 22s and 33s. At the 11s, just play ABC poker and you really should be fine.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:22 PM

I understand 16 is very little, and no it probably wont convince you.

And i cant prove anything from empire, but you have to understand, you cannot just assume.

And yes, I am TAG, but Ill LAG if im leader, and especially with 2-3 handed.

I think after I build up another roll, ill move to stars just to play againts those better people. I think Im a bit more interested in getting better than getting the money at this point, and Im glad.

Also I looked back at those games last night, and Im pretty sure the last 2 or 3 I was tilting (maybe even all of them!). There are several reasons why it happened, and what prevented me from realizing that it was happening.

I believe it was a great experience.

Thank you for your responses.