Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Default McEvoy\'s Cardplayer quiz #5

I'll just post these two for now, then post the rest later after we discuss these.

You are in the first round of a World Poker Tour event. Everyone started with $5,000 in chips. There are two limpers and you are in middle position with the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You also decide to limp in. Two other players limp in behind you, and so does the small blind. The big blind checks and seven of you see the flop for $50 each. The flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You have two overcards and the king-high flush draw. It is checked to you, you also check, and so does everyone else. The turn card is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], making your flush. The blinds check and the first limper checks. You decide to make it $300, the last player to act behind you makes it $900, and the original limper then makes it $2,000. You do not know anything about either player. What is your best play? (A) Call. (B) Fold. (C) Move in.

I say barf! Raise preflop with KQs here. you might win the pot right there, and its a pretty solid hand. Also raising usually buys you the button which is also a great thing.

I also say barf to the check on the flop! What is he thinking here? He has a second nut flush draw and two overs. He can make a nice bet here, say 2/3 of the pot and probably take it down. If he gets called, he probably has a lot of outs.

Tom says:
The answer is (B). This early in the tournament with that kind of betting, you are probably up against the nut flush or even possibly a straight flush. You most likely have one of them beat, but not both of them. You have only a small amount invested in this pot, so why risk going broke when you could easily be drawing dead.

I say this is what you get for not raising preflop. In his spot u need to fold, but I think not raising to give Axs a cheap flop was a mistake.

Opinions?

-Scott
Old 08-02-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: McEvoy\'s Cardplayer quiz #5

Agree on raising preflop.

Agree on the fold after the turn.

What's with this guy and calling all these marginal hands preflop. RAISE IT UP! Sheesh.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:58 AM

I say, Barf! to raising preflop. I would rather fold KQs than raise. The pot is not worth raising enough to get Axs to fold (given the deep stacks) and now I'm going to be playing a crappy hand for a large pot against likely multiple opponents.

I like McEvoy's line.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like McEvoy's line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take back all those nice things I said about you yesterday .

Not that I hate his line on this hand, just dont like agreeing with him in general
Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Not that I hate his line on this hand, just dont like agreeing with him in general

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Most of the time I don't like agreeing with McEvoy, but I try to comment on the strategy proffered not the author.

I quickly looked through one of TJ & McEvoy's books - "Championship Hold 'em Hands" I think it was - at the bookstore one day because I was bored and annoyed that HOH2 wasn't in yet. Every SINGLE hand I looked at was played terribly. One of the choice pieces was how you should throw KK away most of the time on a 962 rb board because if you get action you are against a set. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 10:28 AM

I was in a bookstore a few weeks ago and some young kid (15-16ish) was browsing the poker section. Im watching him pick up all of the 150 McEvoy choices and browse the contents.

Finally, I can't take it. I go over, hand him HOH1, and say, "Trust me, if you are looking to learn how to play No limit tournaments, this book is worth more than all of the rest combined". He gave me a crazy look and walked out with nothing.

I honestly think they wrote that book to try to make the dead money they faced as weak tight as possible.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:30 AM

I'm betting he didn't have any money on him.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:55 AM

I would also not limp in pre-flop under those conditions. With 2 limpers ahead of you, I would either fold or raise.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Bump!

Shameless bump. I'd like to hear more thoughts on this.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:56 PM

Again this play seems totally standard to me. I have no idea why everyone wants to raise preflop and bet the flop.

Betting the flop I'm especially opposed to as you are allowing someone to destroy the value of your hand.