Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Pointers for new player at Pot limit Omaha/8 (loose game)

Hey guys, I'm mostly a hold em player but have played a decent amount of limit omaha/8 and have Ray Zee's book which I am currently re-reading as well as Ciaffone's Pot/no limit. Anyways I have a nice local game I go to which usually runs ahold em game, but I was told they have a 1-2 pot limit Omaha/8 game also. From what I've seen from the hold em I'm guessing this game will definitely be on the loose/gambling side with some bigger stacks than you'd see online. Anyways, are there tips you'd give a new player to playing a loose Pot omaha/8 game?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Pointers for new player at Pot limit Omaha/8 (loose game)

Check out this post I just made, didn't want all that to get buried here:
link

Also, I'm curious where you live that they spread a live PLO8 game. I've never found one.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:40 PM

Steve Badger's section on Pot Limit Omaha HiLo Split is a good source of information on this scarce topic.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:18 PM

Thanks guys. I'm curious to see how this game plays when I go. Unless there is just a totally different lineup than what I've seen this game should be real good. If the play is as loose as I suspect, I will probably play a waiting game with a big stack behind me. The one overriding theme I'm getting is that the nut low by itself is one of the biggest traps possible in PL08 while it's just a minor annoyance when you get caught in limit.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be playing more hands in most PLO8 games than you do in limit Omaha8 or PLO High (unless a game has an unusual amount of pre-flop raising). Speculative hands that are garbage in Limit can be nicely profitable in PLO8. The most obvious one is 23xx. In Limit this is the #1 sucker hand. In pot limit the hand can be played, if you play well, because of the implied action you will get.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the winning poker site. Can yall recommend any other kind of hands I should be adding maybe in late position if the game is fairly loose?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should be playing more hands in most PLO8 games than you do in limit Omaha8 or PLO High (unless a game has an unusual amount of pre-flop raising). Speculative hands that are garbage in Limit can be nicely profitable in PLO8. The most obvious one is 23xx. In Limit this is the #1 sucker hand. In pot limit the hand can be played, if you play well, because of the implied action you will get.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the winning poker site. Can yall recommend any other kind of hands I should be adding maybe in late position if the game is fairly loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things I was talking about in my other post when I gave a sort of unfavorable review of Steve Badger's PLO8 advice. According to my PTO database, 23xx hands are not strong winners. They're barely winners at all, in fact, and lag dramatically behind A3's and A4's. Lately I've been dumping 23's that aren't complemented by something good (45, KK, QQ, double-suited to reasonably high cards, etc).

In general, I'd take SB's advice with a grain of salt. IMO, for example, he also overemphasizes the need for fear of being free-rolled & 3/4'd.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:10 PM

Careful here, depending on the # of players in the hand, you maybe be able to use naked nut low as a means to bluff your opponent off their high. I'd say this happens just as frequently as getting quartered (at least in short-handed play)... so don't start off life in PLO8 with too much fear of naked lows.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:14 PM

I noticed that there's no Pot-Limit Omaha/8 tournament at the World Series of Poker. They have PLO High of course (Including a new $10,000 buy-in PLO event) and several limit Omaha/8 events, but no PLO8 event. It seems that PLO8 really is a game played only on the internet.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:32 PM

TGOLDMAN:

There is WSOP O8/B. Annie Duke won it last year. As far as I know there is two of them. One is $1500 event and the other, I think is $5000. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnny
Old 06-22-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TGOLDMAN:

There is WSOP O8/B. Annie Duke won it last year. As far as I know there is two of them. One is $1500 event and the other, I think is $5000. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnny

[/ QUOTE ]

The event AD won, and the ones this year, are limit, not pot-limit.