Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Default How often do you make moves in MTT?

I am always looking for good spots to steal blinds or unwanted pots, but I think I overdo it. How often can you steal w/o ruining your table image? At some point I got it into my head that I should try to steal Once per orbit, but that was not met w/ much success. I now try to avoid stealing the first few levels, and after the first break maybe pick one good spot per level, and my results have improved, but I usually get picked off, or someone comes over the top as we near the bubble, and I get crippled. Am I still making to many moves, or just off on my timing?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: How often do you make moves in MTT?

i get in groves where i steal alot and make some good dough (especially when i actually have a hand). then i tighten up alot after getting caught.
also try the occasional resteal, based on reads.

gotta change gears
Old 08-02-2005, 08:46 PM

Depends on the table and your/other player's stack sizes.

If u find the blinds folding easily and u have a decent to big stack then just keep takin em til they play back.

Its really nice when u develop a somewhat LAG image then get a huge hand and someone else thinks your still stealing. Sometimes u have to let up or not steal at all if u are facing big loose stacks and just play for value. Its all table and stack size dependant, but to keep accumulating chips u have to make moves. Also, around the bubble of each money bracket people seem to tighen up reguardless of the table.

Just a couple thoughts.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kaesy [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 08:57 PM

I often have this same problem where i get caught on my steal attempts. My biggest problem is not beign able to accumulate chips the only way ive been lucky and flopped flushes which cant happen every time. I usually get to the 50/100 level with 700 chips when i havent won a hand and feel like i need to get extrmely lucky. What do you do in advanced to avoid the low chip stacks and do you often survive this low?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:05 PM

MTT are all about table image. If you have only a tight image, you will not go very far, very often. Dan Harrington is one of the very FEW players who can make the final push as a tight player. Many will get to the money, but few will make it past. To remedy that, you have to develope a LAG image at some point and get the table to start playing LAG as well. It really makes no difference if you are seen as LAG if everyone at your table will still only play TAG as long as you are smart and dont trap YOURSELF. Once you get the table loosened up you have to shift gears and then you'll get paid off. At least this is how i play...
Old 08-03-2005, 05:29 AM

The problem with playing LAG that I see is that every move you make at a pot costs a significant amount of your stack in an MTT. Even a the first level with 10/20 blinds, a raise and a bet on the flop costs quite a lot in terms of % of your stack. At level 2-3 it is even more expensive, so one failed attempt will really hurt you. That is what usually puts me on the defensive. Can you overcome this, or should you just bet and pray a few times in order to accumulate some chips?