Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Help! Dealing with that painful Downswing

Here's a fairly recent post of mine that might help you...
Down-swings.

There was also another one that talked about dealing with "cold cards" I wrote a while ago. I no longer have the link to that thread. Anyone?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all, recently I went on the biggest downswing of my poker playing career, and it has happened at the wrong time. First a short (hopefully) background on me since I'm relatively new here. I am 23 years old and consider myself a semi-pro. I have been employed for 4 months at a large corporate bank (job sucks) making a modest 35k a year +benefits, 401k match, all that good stuff. Each year I have improved greatly, and since 1/1/05 I am up 44K for the year. 13k of this was made in 3 multi’s (2nd , 6th , 10th), the rest was mostly made from 10/20, 15/30, and NL/PL400 – 1000. I have been living at home during this time so I was able to save a lot of what I made with no rent.

This past week though I finally found an apartment in NYC and I just forked over a nice check for 8k which covers 1 month rent $1550, broker fee$2300, and the ridiculous deposit of $4,000 (I get hat back when I move out). It wouldn’t have been so bad but last week variance kicked me in my ass and I dropped $6500 in 5 days of straight losing. I have experienced downswings before of 5k twice and a few other smaller ones of 3k, and came back from them every time, but this one has me scared. Never have I lost so much so fast, and the beats were painful, I’ll admit I probably tilted away about $1,500 during this streak and have taken a break for now. I know I’ll be back in the game soon., but worry that one time I won’t come back from a major downswing like this. My confidence is down and I’m looking for advice on what to do next. I took on a big expense with this apartment and I’ll be pissing more money away on furnishing it and just living in NYC is a rip-off. To those serious players out there, how do you guys handle that one big downswing that really hurts, and what did you do next to get yourselves back playing confident, winning poker like you have all along?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually, a downswing is only painfull if it is a significant amount of money to you. If you had a 1000BB downswing playing .50/1 would you care?

My answer is this. If you are not counting on the income, drop down in limits until you have got your head on straight. Then go back and start kicking some ass.

If you are counting on the income, try to do some things keep yourself focused. Set time limits, analyze your play out loud, go take a shower or wash your face if you drop more than 50-100BB in any one sitting and while doing so, anaylze your play. Dont go back unless you have a reason other than "to get back your money."

Good luck.
Greg
Old 08-02-2005, 03:43 PM

I think the previous two posters gave you some great advice. It's so true that downswings are part of the game. I've had my share. But I found that the reason I was having the downswing was normally because I got cocky, got away from my original style of play, because I had been doing so well prior to the downswing. So I would go back to my books and study up again, get my head straight. Then I would hit up the tables that I fealt comfortable playing at. I don't like the idea of dropping down to cheap seats/tables because of a downswing. That's a sure way to go on tilt and or lose the rest of your bank roll. I guess play at the highest amount you can play at and still feel comfortable. If you find that your downswing is effecting the rest of your life especially causing you financial woes then that is when you do need to take a break. Honestly not being able to pay bills because of gambling is quite depressing. So don't get to that level. My advice for staying out of major downswings is to catch yourself. When I feel myself slacking on a game or not playing my best i get the hell out and go read or study some more or watch a poker DVD or televised game and get pumped up again and ready to play. If you don't feel like you are completely 100% focused and ready to kick ass then don't play. That's how I keep from taking major downswings.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:48 PM

Try to look at your overall results - you're still up a lot for the year. Imagine, instead of winning 44K and then losing $6500, you had "only" won 25K, and then last week won $12,500. You'd have the same exact bankroll - but it's amazing how a downswing can change your perception of it.

My point is that you should keep an eye on your overall results, not just your recent hot or cold streak.

Downswings like this are another reason a "real" job with steady income is a pretty good thing to have - especially at NYC prices!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Hi Rob,

This is going to be a three step process.

1. Stop what you are doing right now.

2. Click onthis link

3. Select one day shipping.

Best regards,
Snowball
Old 08-02-2005, 08:13 PM

So you recommend that book SNOWBALL?

OP, try this great post by Gigabet. I read it every couple of days or so.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the link. I read that thread a while ago and was totally blown away by it. If you look at the thread, you can see my response to it at the time was "Are you god?"
I wasn't being sarcastic or sincere. I just didn't know how to respond.

The reason I had such a strange response to it was that when I read it, it was though my whole poker career was flashing through mind, and I was reviewing my own psychological weaknesses. It was a big "AHA" moment for me. When I re-read it just now, I had another "aha" moment that was imcomparably more meaningful than the mantra "get your chips in with the best of it. Results will take care of themselves" At the time I read that post, I had never read something so singularly helpful about poker.

Yes. I recommend Barry's book. Its a very personal book that has an uncommon inspirational power. About the play examples: My jaw dropped to the floor, and stayed there.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 PM

LIRob23 -

#1 You don't need to fully furnish your apartment right off the bat. There is no rush and you'll be surprised by how many people start offerring you their old stuff.

#2 I think that you got used to a certain living style and now that you are faced with changing it, you are freaking out about all sorts of money issues. It'll get worse before it gets better, but you will survive.

#3 Decide what you are going to do with your bankroll. If it will be used as supplemental income, then you need to move down limits and figure out how much will be needed, etc.

#4 Move down limits anyways. You've been through the swings before, it just hasn't had as much of an impact on your financial thinking as it does now. A lower limit will help you stay even keeled.

#5 Remember to stay positive.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 PM

I just moved house (countries) and had to sell most of my earthly goods. I got less than 20% what i paid 3 years ago for high quality furniture....buy your furniture on Ebay....you will save yourself a fortune, and you will scoop some very nice stuff that wont embarrass you, for a fraction of what some poor sucker paid for it a few months ago.

Bingo