Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Is an all-in here totally out of line?

Good point by Eastbay here because payout is a factor. This payout is very highly weighted to first place. Very little point in worrying about busting the short stack out, so I would not consider a small raise with the possibility of folding to the big stack push.

I think pushing is good.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:30 PM

Thanks for your imput micro.

I've got to go now, but I hope to see some more replies when I return.

Results in white below:

<font color="white"> They both called and they BOTH flipped over pocket jacks. I picked up a diamond draw on the turn, but it wasn't to be. Luckbox took aww da chip and won the whole thing after a lenghty battle with the other guy.

In retrospect I think my biggest mistake was trying to push small edges pre-flop when I'm pretty sure I could've outplayed them both post-flop. Oh well...</font>
Old 10-22-2005, 03:57 PM

1) The payout is $70/$10.All that matters now is that first place pays seven times second place.
If the payout is 500/440/430 then our strategy should be exactly the same.
2) Youre pushing 110 chips into a guy that has 4 chips invested, what matter here is the SB not the BB.
I think betting 20 is better because it gives u a chance to see a flop with position( let alone skill adv.) this is not a SNG where u have to fold to pushes with better hands.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) The payout is $70/$10.All that matters now is that first place pays seven times second place.
If the payout is 500/440/430 then our strategy should be exactly the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of us is confused. You shouldn't change your strategy based on whether winner gets 7 times second place or whether winner gets almost the same as second place? But, yes the payout difference between 2nd and 3rd is irrelevant here.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Youre pushing 110 chips into a guy that has 4 chips invested, what matter here is the SB not the BB.
I think betting 20 is better because it gives u a chance to see a flop with position( let alone skill adv.) this is not a SNG where u have to fold to pushes with better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a SNG. BB is 8. You have like 14 BBs. I think if you raise to 20 (2.5 BBs) you are gonna have to fold if SB pushes.

Being as 1st pays 7 times as much as 2nd - F 2nd place, so I don't wanna fold to SB now or after the flop, so push.

I don't think it's a huge diff though since SB is described as passive which gives you a great chance of doubling when you hit and not busting when you don't.

edit: it was a later post he was described as not aggressive, but fearless.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 PM

It doesnt really matter but I will explain my position just to avoid confusion.
So the payouts are 80/20/10...a dude busted fourth, everybody get their buy-in back, the new payouts are 70/10, and according to that new payout you have to change your strategy.

What really matter here is the hand, how much money are you winning by pushing?? ( we will get to how much money do u win by raising to 20 later on)
Old 10-22-2005, 04:57 PM

I gotta go, but you are mixing up percentages of payouts and dollars of payout.

That 544/450/400 or whatever was totally out of left field though.

The payout does matter. There's a difference here between it not mattering much if you finish 2nd vs 1st or it being a big deal.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:53 AM

Can I get anyone else to share their thoughts on this?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:05 PM

It depends on how loose the SB is, and how likely he is to come over the top if you just raise, and a number of other things.

The payout is, to all intents and purposes, $70/$10/$0. In a normal SNG it is $30/$10/$0 at this point (assuming an $11 SNG)
Old 10-23-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on how loose the SB is, and how likely he is to come over the top if you just raise, and a number of other things.

The payout is, to all intents and purposes, $70/$10/$0. In a normal SNG it is $30/$10/$0 at this point (assuming an $11 SNG)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].