Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 04:12 AM

Default JJ hand...

I am new to no limit and this is my first post in this section. As a learning process I am playing some 1-2 no limit games in NYC clubs where competition is average at best and this is a hand that recently came up. I feel that I made a huge mistake preflop but not really sure...

I am on the BB and looking at JJ. 3 (UTG MP1 and MP2) limpers called $2 and Sb out of the blue raises $20. Player UTG is pretty good but tilting at the time ...I make it 50 to go thinking that this way i'll get a hand heads up with a terrible player on SB. UTG calls 50 , MP1 folds , MP2 calls and SB goes all in for 110 more. I have about 350 in front of me and can cover everybody but MP2 ( he has about 500). What now?
Old 08-14-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: JJ hand...

MP2 could easily have an KQs AJs JTs or mid- high pocket pair. his late position and the fact that he's only flat called to big bets rules out him have AA - QQ or AKs, so i woudln't be worried about him.

you said the UTG is steaming so he could have a suited connector and just be playing half retarded.

basically you just need to put a read on the small blind and what he could have. him raising to $20 preflop is fairly large and he did push all in. depending on how loose he is (and you said he was terrible) he could have AA KK QQ JJ TT 99 AKs AQs Ako. there are 6 ways to have AA KK QQ TT and 99, 1 way for JJ, 16 ways to have an Ak and 4 for Aqs. so of the 51 possible combinations, you have 18 that you are behind, 12 ahead and 20 that are a coinflip. i think you will win roughly 23 of those (once every 6 times an underpair will win, so 3 + 10 + 10 for jj vs overcards). you're getting 23 to 51 and the pot odds are 110 to 370. ( someone please verify that my numbers are right )

you could flat call and hope the otehrs drop out or push in to get heads up. i dont like a laydown here.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:12 PM

In my experience at these limits the small blind pushing here means AA, KK, QQ...
I would laydown..
Old 08-16-2004, 02:27 PM

Has SB been making large raises like this before? You'd have to know what that raise meant. I would think it would mean either he's trying to buy the pot with crap, or he's got something good that he wants to get action with. When he re-raises all-in, it's hard to believe it's the former, but you've got a very player dependent situation going here. Perhaps folding right off would have been the right play. It really depends on what he would raise with.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:45 AM

Default Result

SB like i said was terrible. He was overplaying his AJs and AQs whole night. I was hopping that by pushing i can get a heads up with him but...everybody called and i was shown AJoff from a SB , Q10S UTG and some suted crap from the other dude...hmm...my hand held up...But i still think i made a huge mistake preflop when i raised his 20 bet...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Result

[ QUOTE ]
SB like i said was terrible. He was overplaying his AJs and AQs whole night. I was hopping that by pushing i can get a heads up with him but...everybody called and i was shown AJoff from a SB , Q10S UTG and some suted crap from the other dude...hmm...my hand held up...But i still think i made a huge mistake preflop when i raised his 20 bet...

[/ QUOTE ]
You did.

Call the raise and then when you see the flop you'll have a better idea if you want to play the hand furthor.