Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Live Tournament Hand

$30 buyin 60+ players. Blinds 50-100.

Me $1275
Villan $1025

I am UTG+2. I have recently played 2 hands where I have laid down to reraise on the flop to a bigger stack on my left with a small pair and a whiffed AK. I have shown no cards to date. Villian is aggressive and loose. He has pushed with ATo 2 times and showed. I played 1 other hand with villian in which I reraised big and he laid down.

I open with 300 (AQo) folds to villian (CO) who raises 725. Pot is now 1475 if my math and memory are correct and 725 to call. Looks like a coin flip or I may be in a dominating position. I guess 88 - TT and call.

Is this a fold preflop with 15 min levels. I'd have about 10x the BB if I fold. I'm in good shape if I win. I'm basically crippled if I lose. How much would I have to have to gamble with this.

If not a preflop fold and I've raised. Is this a call. I put him on AA-88 AK-AJ. More likely a pair given this is a reraise. If I do Pokerstove with AA-88 and AK its close 36% equity. If I extend to include AQ and AJ its up to 42%% equity). However, I'd be all but out.

I'll start reading HOH to look for the answer but wanted some opinions here.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Live Tournament Hand

I don't like calling the raise...I'd say you either fold or push, given your chip situation.

I Remember HOH saying something about taking two reasonable cards and going with the intent of seeing it all the way through (or something to that extent). I have to reread it, but on memory, it seems to describe your situation (eg: getting close to desperation time, up against an aggressive bully who is known to bluff).

BTW, HOH also touches on how the table perceives you -- right now, you're looking like you could get pushed around. So that seems to lend even more weight to taking a stand right now.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:04 PM

Thanks for response. Sorry for lack of clarity here.

His reraise was all-in 300 + 725
Old 06-24-2005, 06:18 PM

Considering it is an all in move, I would probably fold here. I just don't like AJ to try to take someone out. On the other hand, the amount you are putting in is only slightly more than what would be bet in a continuation bet on the flop. So there is a good reason to consider calling. I still think I fold, unless I'm in the money in which case I'll gambool alittle more.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:24 PM

Easy push.

All your chips are going in anyhow so show contempt for his play. If villain has been playing that loose you are way ahead of his range.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:30 PM

I think you have to call, given your read on villain his range is much wider than AA-88,AK,AQ. My range for a loose villain is
AA-66, AK,AQ,AJ, JTs,KQs, T9s, etc and hero is in good shape.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 PM

For once I agree with Locutus. His range is much wider than you give him credit for. I'd increase his range to 22-AA, Axs, AT-AK, KQ-KJ, QJ, and throw in T9s and 87s, because he could realistically push with a number of these types of hands, but may fold them too (so we are not including 89s,76s,etc) against this admittedly large range (I have played with this guy quite a bit) you have 55% Eq. and you need only 33%. Tighten it up to 55-AA, AK-ATo, KQ,KJs,QJs, you are now looking at 51% eq. My readless range for a player with this stack size is only a little tighter than this. Call.

CSC
Old 06-25-2005, 03:28 AM

Ah, I see it now (and my apologies...I originally read it as you being the one with lower chips, and he just raising 425 on top of your original 300 to toy with you). This is not an easy one, since if you do fold, you've still got 10 BB. Then again, what hand are you waiting for at this point?

As others have wisely said, I agree that you should call his all-in. AQ seems too good a holding, given the size of your stack and what you know about your opponent. You're a dog to only 4 hands at this point (and a big dog to only one)...and it's hard to give credit for those hands. If anything, it's a coin flip (any broadway, plus lower pairs in PokerStove), and you're slightly ahead at this point.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Results

Thanks for all the help. I'm trying not to be results oriented with these situations.

Villian shows JJ, I get no help and struggle on a few rounds and go out.

I'm still not sure that the reraise gives as wide a range as when its an open push for villian. I agree that for an open push, any pair and maybe any suited broadway, AK - AT is possible. I'd already seen AT twice.