Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Beginner\'s luck gone bad

I've been reading 2+2 for a few months now and have rarely posted, but I have a question.

I've been playing online for 6 months in Pokerroom and Party. When I first started - I couldn't lose - I was playing the micro limits and racked up about $300 pretty quickly. I moved up to 1-2 6 max and won about $500 shortly after. I felt I had a good understaning of the game, I hadn't read any books yet and I felt pretty confident.

Then, I read Lee Jones' WLLHE and Sklansky's HP and thought I'd be unstoppable. Well, I lost my stack plus about $400 over the last few months.

Is this typical for a begginer? I'm very patient and am only playing premium hands - and playing them aggresively.

My question is - is this a normal cycle for a poker player - to win early, give it back plus some more, and slowly build back a bankroll? Or am I just fish who got lucky early on?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Beginner\'s luck gone bad

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, you were a fish that got lucky early on. It's only natural that you gave it all back.

Continue to work on your game, and you will earn that much back, and more.

Good luck, play well!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Beginner\'s luck gone bad

I find that when I'm trying to apply new concepts (like from SSH) there is an adjustment period while I reconcile those new methods with my own playing style - like watching a golf video can mess up your swing.

Keep studying the game and you will win consistently.