Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: another way to look at it

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the BB w/ J4. Folded to an aggressive SB who completes. I check my option.

We both have 120k and the blinds are 600-1200.

Flop is JT3.

He makes a pot sized bet of 2700. I raise to 7k straight w/ my top pair no kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can put Action Dan on just about any other hand in this thread. J4o, however, is not making this raise on this flop to this bet from that player.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Gigabet hand in WPT event.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the thing about this hand. When Harrington raises the flop it could easily be either for value or to take control of the hand for pot control reasons. So when giga leads the turn he takes pot control away from Harrington and it seems Harrington doesnt care since he goes right ahead and raises. Harrington is almost certainly a lock for a big hand now (although there is a small chance of pure bluff) as a good draw almost certainly calls, same with a good one pair hand like KJ/QJ. After all that it seems like a bet on the turn is much better than a check, since it gets value out of worse made hands, charges draws, and forces Dan to define his hand for us. When Dan raises in this spot im petrified. So, what hands could Dan have. Seems to me, J10/J3/103/33 and maybe maybe maybe 44 that ran a play on the flop. I don't know why giga doesnt include 103 in his range, maybe he thinks Harrington just calls on the turn there. Given that im including 103 in the range I cant find a fold. I call the raise and lead the river for the same reasons I led the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

to restate what I said earlier in the thread cross-referenced:

I think dan might raise with 33 in position preflop, but I am sure he also checks the hand for unpredictability. No idea what his default is, but he could definitely be checking the hand.

But also, I don't think Dan needs a very big hand to make that turn raise. The actual size of the raise is a little suspicious, It almost looks like Dan is trying to buy a showdown... I think he probably folds most of his potential holdings to a three bet, including almost all of the hands we are beating.

Obviously I don't know past history, and can only guess on the players' percieved images, but it seems to me that it would make sense to call and lead the river. C/r turn seems like an OK line, but I think I like calling Dan's raise and leading. Of course, if he shoves on our river bet, we have quite a decision to make, but I think that is too tough a spot to really theorize on without being in the hand.And, of course, if a heart or another scare card hits, it is going to come down to Darrell's read of the situation.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the BB w/ J4. Folded to an aggressive SB who completes. I check my option.

Flop is JT3.

He makes a pot sized bet of 2700. I raise to 7k straight w/ my top pair no kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can put Action Dan on just about any other hand in this thread. J4o, however, is not making this raise on this flop to this bet from that player.

[/ QUOTE ]

harrington always says in his books that he likes to raise for information. I don't see why he can't be raising with J4 on this flop, although perhaps the pot-size bet is a deterrent?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
harrington always says in his books that he likes to raise for information. I don't see why he can't be raising with J4 on this flop, although perhaps the pot-size bet is a deterrent?

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be assuming too much, but if he knows who Gigabet is, he knows a raise for information with a marginal hand is the worst thing he can possibly do there.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also disregard Dan saying he had a worse hand than top 2, he would never tell if he had 33 there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. What Harrington says he had means nothing. He could have been ahead or been on a stone bluff. He also may not have believed Gigabet had top two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure don't.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Flop is JT3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and why's that?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also disregard Dan saying he had a worse hand than top 2, he would never tell if he had 33 there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. What Harrington says he had means nothing. He could have been ahead or been on a stone bluff. He also may not have believed Gigabet had top two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the flop and betting out shows so much strength that the turn raise scares the hell out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think calling the flop raise and betting the turn looks very very weak. It looks like you are betting so that you can fold to a raise with a hand like QJ or KJ. I don't think there is any way that I'm laying this hand down. In fact, I'd like to get all my chips in if I can, though I don't think Dan will comply b/c I think he doesn't have a strong enough hand to get all of his stack in there.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Unless Giga posted that specifically for other competitors in this tourney to see...

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always wondered about this. This is the second hand posted by Gigabet about a very odd play before the tournament was over. I can't imagine a player would want to reveal his holding on the one hand of the day that is likely to be keeping his opponents up at night wondering what he had. But I can see Gigabet continuing the battle off the table into cyberspace to project an image to setup a play for the following day. Although many of his lines are so counterintuitive to so many, perhaps revealing his actual holding achieves the same purpose.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

speaking of which....i can't remember any of these 'huh?' gigabet hands that have actually gone to showdown.