Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 11:05 AM

Default 88 UTG !

Looking at my PT stats, I lose more money with 88 than any other PP.
Saying that I have only had it 44 times, which isn't a great number.

I hadn’t long been at the table, so had no reads on anyone as yet.

Bet365 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero Calls, UTG+1 Calls, UTG+2 Calls, MP1 Folds, MP2 Calls, MP3 Calls, LP1 Calls, CO Folds, SB Folds, BB Checks.

[I always call one bet with any PP from any position. I do this because I find them easy to get away from unless I flop a Set].

Flop: (7 SB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7 players)
BB Bets, Hero Raises, UTG+1 Calls, UTG+2 Calls, MP2 Folds, MP3 Folds, LP1 Folds, BB Calls.

[Once I flopped my set, I was tempted to go for a check-raise, but as there was 2 Clubs out (at these limits people will play any two suited cards) I decided to just play it fast].

Turn: (7.5 BB) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB Checks, Hero Bets, UTG+1 Calls, UTG+2 Calls, BB Calls.

[Although this put 3 to a straight, I wasn’t really concerned. I thought 9T, 59 or 45 were unlikely. Besides, if someone did have one of those hands, I would surely get raised, then I could slow down on the River.]

River: (11.5 BB) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB Checks, Hero Bets, UTG+1 Folds, UTG+2 Raises, BB Folds, Hero Calls.

[As this put the 3rd Club on the board, I was tempted to check. Would this be too weak ?
As it happens I decided to call. Once he raised I was almost 100% sure he had the flush, but figured it would be a bigger mistake if I folded and he didn’t have it.]

Final Pot: 15.5 BB

Results in white below : <font color="white">
Hero shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for 3 of a Kind 8s
UTG+2 shows A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for Flush Clubs</font>

Advice on all streets appreciated.

Thanks.

J.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: 88 UTG !

I'd bottle a bet on the river given that you had so many callers. No way you can fold on the river.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results in white below : <font color="white">
Hero shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for 3 of a Kind 8s
UTG+2 shows A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for Flush Clubs</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of 'results in white' when your suits stick out? Just leave the results off.

With 3 opponents on the river, two of which called double-sized bets on the flop and the turn bet, I think I might check it unless I knew they are able to call down with garbage.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:29 PM

I agree with all of your plays, except the river. With two callers on the turn and the 3rd club out, I check with my position and call one back.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM

You played it perfectly on all streets. I probably would have bet the river too, but I tend to get a little overly aggro sometimes. With more than one opponent checking is ok.

And yes, when he raises and you almost know you are beat on the river, I do believe you still have to call.

There's just no way you can get away from a set most of the time. It's tough luck.

The fact that 88 loses for you is just a coincidence if you play it like this all the time when you flop a set. Unless you're hanging on to them when you miss flopping the set and there are overcards out, but it does not sound like you're doing that.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

I might try bet/call HU. With two others, I would probably check/call.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:58 PM

If you knew there was a good chance that the BB would bet out again this would be a great time to wait until the turn to raise.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:05 PM

I think you played it well until the river. With one other player, you should bet. With two or more, check/call. The pot is way too big to fold.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Thanks very much for all your replies - I appreciate it.

Also, apologies for leaving the suits in the results - I just wasn't thinking straight !