Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: curtains hand #5001: A9o in sb

I don't see how folding can be correct against a villain who is described as:
[ QUOTE ]
quite loose passive in early rounds. he got most of his stack by calling a minraise in lvl two with J9o and spiking top two pair. he likes to limp and call small raises with crap hands (JTo, A2o, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no way that I cannot play this hand profitably by completing and playing a flop against such a player. If he isn't going to raise me off of the hand then I can turn the hand into a profit.

Against a decent player who would be smart enough to raise me off of my hand I would simply move all in. If he is intelligent enough to move all in against me it is also likely that he is able to recognize that calling my push with marginal hands such as 66 and AT would be incorrect.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how folding can be correct against a villain who is described as:
[ QUOTE ]
quite loose passive in early rounds. he got most of his stack by calling a minraise in lvl two with J9o and spiking top two pair. he likes to limp and call small raises with crap hands (JTo, A2o, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no way that I cannot play this hand profitably by completing and playing a flop against such a player. If he isn't going to raise me off of the hand then I can turn the hand into a profit.

Against a decent player who would be smart enough to raise me off of my hand I would simply move all in. If he is intelligent enough to move all in against me it is also likely that he is able to recognize that calling my push with marginal hands such as 66 and AT would be incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon man you arent really playing like this. I mean you realize that if they are folding 66 and AT, its +EV to push any 2....its hardly more +EV to push with J9 (+.3%,+$5.30) OR 97o (+$.2%/+$3.50) than it is to push with A9o (+.3%/$6.30) and I don't even believe for a fraction of a second that you would push with hands that weak for 15x BB. Again, if you are going to push with A9o because your opponent is going to fold stuff like 66 and ATo (which I would never assume in a million years), then its nearly just as much +EV to push with 97o and even very slightly +EV to push 54o (+.1%), and I don't think I'll live to see the day that you push those hands also. Yet its inconsistant to say that you'd push A9o against such players and then not push a hand like J9o and 97o which are still +EV against this range. I simply refuse to give anyone that tight a calling range unless they are related to me or I know them exceptionally well.

I'm not going to play that game on the bubble and assume my big stacked opponent is tight enough to make pushing with nearly any 2 while having 15x the BB and two shorties around the correct play. I think calling was probably the best play against this guy...I wouldnt have been totally shocked if they called an allin with A6s or KJs or something like that.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 PM

Note to all: if you say stuff like 'isn't it an invitation for the big stack to raise?', you have to take the read into account. Someone who calls raises with A2o and plays super passively PF is not suddenly going to start bullying with nothing, at least not because he read about it on 2+2.

I complete and play poker, which probably involves check/folding a lot but oh well.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note to all: if you say stuff like 'isn't it an invitation for the big stack to raise?', you have to take the read into account. Someone who calls raises with A2o and plays super passively PF is not suddenly going to start bullying with nothing, at least not because he read about it on 2+2.

I complete and play poker, which probably involves check/folding a lot but oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that limping is probably the best play btw. I just don't think folding is terrible.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I said it was the worst play by "far" I was kind of overdramatizing a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

So was I (when I meanting pushing/folding). A 10+ tabling 22-55er would hardly ever works on his game vs a strong $215er, course there will be differing opinions [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] At least I'm starting to make an effort these days though lol.