Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Right answer - Wrong reason

"They may have the right answer for the wrong reason." I took this out of context from chezlaws comment in another thread where he was making a valid point with it because it contains a neat philosophical twist. It's a normal phrase and it's sentiment is typical of, say, a voting system.realizing that the phrase often means "at least they're doing the right thing ( the solution is the one I want implemented)". That's how it seemed chezlaw was using it when I noticed it and I'm not arguing how the phrase is used..it's used how it's used.

Yet, even in some simple situations, I tend to think of "the right answer for the wrong reasons" as "the Wrong answer." Political considerations, as above, aside- "the right answer" requires the right reasons in order to be right, else it falls under some intellectual version of cousin Vinny's "lucky guess".

Now, I don't think my view on this is the majority view in many situations that arise. Most politicians I deal with ( and I deal with many) are very 'results oriented' thinkers, as are most people. The scientific commmunity is where you find more 'process oriented' thinking and perhaps that's one reason I'm more comfortable there.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 11-07-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Right answer - Wrong reason

[ QUOTE ]
Yet, even in some simple situations, I tend to think of "the right answer for the wrong reasons" as "the Wrong answer

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree and DS says much the same thing in his threads on right/wrong.

chez
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM

I concur. I think the real problem with "right answer but for the wrong reasons" is that your faulty logic applied in some other situation will undoubtably lead to poor results.

As a poker analogy, imagine a player who doesn't understand the reasons for raising. If he makes a raise in a particular hand, it may be the proper play. But in other hands where he sees little difference, it may be completely incorrect.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the comments, I'll push this just a bit further. Just got back from an all-candidates meeting. Not the environment for Right Answer + Wrong Reason = Wrong Answer thinking. There are deductions to be drawn - The test for rightness can't be "it worked". The test for wrongness can't be "it didn't work".

You can see how this 'it's the correct reasoning that matters' is tougher in the political arena. It's also easy to see the conservative mindset in this. Conservatives fight change essentially on the "hey, it worked before, it's tradition, we've always done it this way" type of thinking. IOW, the "it worked, therefore it's the right answer" view of the world.

To take this underlying theme farther, it can be extended into some elements of the usual religous-non-religious arguments on here. Some non-theists see morality based on actions as missing the whole point. "I do this because god wants me to ..or will punish me if I don't" can be looked at as "doing the right thing for the wrong reason = wrong". There are no moral 'actions' there is only moral intent. The 'gun to the head' makes the gift a non-gift.

I don't want to overplay this theme, but I think the two divergent views of what makes right right shows up in lots of areas of our lives and can help to get a bit into the others head if taken into account.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 11-08-2005, 10:01 AM

What is your stance on "right reasons but wrong answer"? Is that wrong too? Here I mean thinking it through correctly, getting all the important steps right, but making a careless error, omission, or oversight and getting the wrong answer.

Suppose you have a choice of living in

community A - in which everyone routinely gets the right answers for the wrong reasons, or

community B - in which everyone routinely gets the wrong answers for the right reasons

Which would you prefer to live in?

For me it's A by a country mile. I don't have the time and energy to get inside everyone's mind, nor do I feel obligated to do so. I do feel, however, that I have a right to live in a community in which moral actions are the norm, even if no one knows how to articulate why they do what they do.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your stance on "right reasons but wrong answer"? Is that wrong too? Here I mean thinking it through correctly, getting all the important steps right, but making a careless error, omission, or oversight and getting the wrong answer.

Suppose you have a choice of living in

community A - in which everyone routinely gets the right answers for the wrong reasons, or

community B - in which everyone routinely gets the wrong answers for the right reasons

Which would you prefer to live in?

For me it's A by a country mile. I don't have the time and energy to get inside everyone's mind, nor do I feel obligated to do so. I do feel, however, that I have a right to live in a community in which moral actions are the norm, even if no one knows how to articulate why they do what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess that's why you'd rather people avoided education.

chez
Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that's why you'd rather people avoided education.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all education, just most, particularly the post-secondary stuff that doesn't lead directly to something practical. And even there I'd say those fields (like math, physics and philosophy) are good and necessary, but they'd still do just fine if only the top 5% of the current students studied it and the other 95% got jobs or did something else instead.

So basically I'm in favor of cutting university enrollments to about 5% of their current levels, but I wouldn't eliminate too many subjects altogether.

The current role of universities as brainwashing centres for the masses is just abhorrent to me. They should do only what they were originally intended to do, ie. do quality research that directly and significantly affects humanity IMO.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The current role of universities as brainwashing centres for the masses is just abhorrent to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree with that sentiment more. Brainwashing is very bad.

but you seem to have a problem with teaching people to question accepted norms and think for themselves. That is not brainwashing.

chez
Old 11-08-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your stance on "right reasons but wrong answer"? Is that wrong too?

[/ QUOTE ]
You comments are fascinating and we’d likely each be poster boys for the very different mindset/worldviews that I mentioned.

I’ll see if I can get my head around “right reasons with errors = right reasons” so I can give you a useful reply. It’s going to be hard for us to exchange ideas if I define “right answers” as those that are reached by “right reasons” and in your first response you refer to “stand alone” right answers. But maybe I can work around it.

Borodog had part of the answer for you. Even if a community stumbles on the right answer ( the one you can arrive at by well-reasoned, fact-based analysis), odds are they’ll usually screw things up either directly or indirectly (not considering the bigger picture, for example).

Let’s say I live in community (A) where all the actions taken are the ones we would arrive at in that situation by 'right reasoning'. My co-worker says he helps the little-league because his boss has a son in it. My neighbor says he volunteers at the food bank because he gets a discount on his groceries. My sons teacher say he teaches sex ed so he can talk ‘dirty’ to the kids. And this goes on “always” by your hypothetical. Nope, I’m afraid I’d spend too much time puking to enjoy living in such an environment, in fact just writing it gives me the creeps.

Whereas (A) is merely disgusting and highly improbable ( not the people, just the odds of them all gathering in one town...hmmm, maybe not), I’m going to have to morph your (B) to have any hope of commenting on it. I’ll think of it as the typical “good intentions – crappy implementation”. Most of us actually live in very mild versions of (B) communities, it’s a grander version of “it the thought, not the gift, that matters”, or “well, his hearts in the right place”, or “at least he tried”. I’d by far prefer living in a community where I can respect the person behind their decision and simply need to forgive his not being the best organizer or the sharpest knife in the drawer.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the time and energy to get inside everyone's mind, nor do I feel obligated to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, it’s your hypothetical and it’s based on being inside peoples heads, cheeesh. Remember though, you’ve totally morphed my definitions and created situations and concepts that are unrealistic ( which I don’t have a problem with when a person is trying to isolate a point) so it's hard to relate to them on the ground. I do appreciate your trying to come up with scenario’s that both test and challenge what I was test-marketing, thanks.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I’d change my mind.
( this option isn’t open to everyone).
Old 11-08-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, it’s your hypothetical and it’s based on being inside peoples heads, cheeesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said I don't feel obligated to get inside people's heads, I meant on a day-to-day basis as part of life in a community. The forum is different. Here I enjoy it and it makes for good discussions. Sorry for the confusion.

I enjoyed reading your response and will have some comments on it a bit later.