Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Extracting Value at the Commerce

3/5 NL game again. I'm dealt 99 in LP. Several limpers ahead of me. I raise to 15. Everyone calls. Pot = 90 Flop is J95 rainbow. Checked to me and I bet 40 doing my best to represent an AK continuation bet. One caller on my right. Pot now 170. Turn is a blank. Villain checks. I do some acting, playing around with a large stack of chips and then check behind. River is another blank. Villain checks to me a again. I "think" for a moment and bet $50. Villain thinks for a about a minute, looks at me and says "I know you have Ace-King." I say nothing and stare at the pot. Villain thinks for another 15-20 seconds and folds. Anything I could have done to induce a call/ bluff raise here? We each had a few hundred more behind. Seems that villain got the exact impression that I was trying to create with my betting but didn't have the guts to bet. After he made the AK comment, I thought about saying something to the effect of "prove it" but decided against it. Is betting the turn a better idea? I put him on a smaller pocket pair since there wasn't much of a draw on the flop.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Extracting Value at the Commerce

Raise more pre-flop - I've played that game before, any raise below 20+ is just a pot sweetener. I would've made it 25.
No, you did about everything right, he simply had no hand to play against you or the balls to bluff at it.

Kirk
Old 10-14-2005, 09:37 AM

It's like you are trying to play an itty bitty pot. Bet.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:59 AM

when i flop a set i like to make the pto big. that means betting, and i mean real betting, not little dinky weak ones.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Raise to like 50 pre, bet pot on flop, bet turn, its live goddamit, people suck! They love to call with nothing just to bluff so let them!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Either call preflop or stick in a real raise. Bet the pot on the flop. Bet the pot on the turn. Stick it all in on the riv. You realize this is low limit live poker, right?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Your flop play should vary depending on your opponent.

Preflop raise was fine. I pot the flop and grow the pot larger on subsequent streets.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Bet the turn. It seems like you're trying to make the minimum with your small flop bet and check on the turn.
In general, when you have the virtual nuts you're not trying to get people to make calls with relatively little by playing down the strength of your hand. You're trying to play big pots and hoping that your opponent has something to play with, because if they didn't it doesn't matter what you do, you're not making much money.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:40 PM

I like the flop bet trying to make it look like a continuation bet, especially if the continuation bet is something you do pretty frequently. On the turn I would follow up with another bet, probably about 2/3 of the pot, as that's what I would often do if I had a continuation bet and got called on the flop. I think checking the turn is not a good play, unless your opponent will autobet if you check.

If you really had something like AK, you would probably continue at the pot around half the time, right? So continue at it here, which mimicks AK just as well as checking does, and gets more money in the point. Either your opponent will put you on a hand, or he won't. Get the money in for the times he doesn't. Bet exactly the same amount you would bet if you really had something like AK and decided to bet it.