Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 05:52 AM

Default Taking a shot in a big pot.

Hi all, a past post of Dynasty's inspired this play, I'd like to know what you all think of it. The player who check-raised me on the flop I would characterize as very tough, and pretty aggresive. The guy who cold-called my turn raise is a loose-passive, but the guy between us just sat down and I don't know if he has played with the other guy much. The tough player and I have played a decent amount together.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (12.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
Old 12-09-2004, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Taking a shot in a big pot.

bet the river.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 AM

Personally, I like it. You bet when shown weakness on the flop and called a check-raise from a "very tough" player who probably doesn't need much of a hand to make a move on you with this kind of flop (although I would be a little concerned since he actually check-raised two people here). On the turn, you took advantage of the opportunity that presented itself and got rid of the tough player. On the river, you checked behind because your opponent is definitely going to call with anything that beats you and is unlikely to pay you off with less than your Ace-high.

I hope your opponent turned over a busted flush draw and not 22 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SpaceAce
Old 12-09-2004, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the river. you don't think there's any chance he makes that call with two spades?

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Why would the hero bet the river? Do you really think he is going to get a call from Queen-high or less? I doubt that. I also seriously doubt that the hero's opponent is going to release any pair for one bet on the river. Even if we assume the caller could have AQ and that he will lay it down on the river, do you think he will have that hand often enough to make a bet worthwhile?

SpaceAce
Old 12-09-2004, 07:00 AM

Getting Ace-big head up against a flush draw is a great place to be. Fine job, sir.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only good reason I can think to bet the river is to make the bad player fold a worse hand. In this case, I don't think the information saved is worth the obvious -EV of this bet.
-James
Old 12-09-2004, 04:08 PM

What % of the thought process of the play revolved around the K falling on the turn? In other words, did you script this play through at the flop or was the K the insight to the play?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:44 PM

The K was the deal maker. It was the perfect card(almost).
-James
Old 12-09-2004, 05:29 PM

What the hell is your problem? Nice play. Next hand.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:45 PM

You played this very well. The key is knowing that MP3 is capable of folding his 66/77 when the K falls. Given that you describe him as an expert who has played with you before, raising the turn is definitely a great move. I just hope MP2 didn't have K5 or something like that.