Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 08:59 AM

Default What would a good player do here?

Party 15/30

UTG limps
UTG+1 limps
fold
MP1 limps
MP2 limps
folded to: HERO in BB who plays with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
5 players
Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to MP1 who bets. MP2 folds. HERO calls. UTG folds. UTG+1 calls.
3 players.
Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked to MP1 who bets - called by both players.
River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
checked to MP1 who bets and is called by UTG+1

Been playing for 18 months - marginal winner on 15/30 (yes I know that means I am a cretin) - would welcome guidance as to the thinking when you have a biggish draw of this nature against a small field. Most Partygoers bet like bulls - but of course no-one folds and I am not sure it is the best tactic??????
Old 11-27-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Re: What would a good player do here?

Why not bet flop, flushdraw+overcard, with 2-3 callers its EV+? Or when only 2 left seeing turn, bet turn, you have a lot of outs and a chance being ahead of both. If they only call turn they are maybe also on a draw, probably making it ok checkcalling river.

Like u played ut u gave them no chance to fold.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:27 PM

there isn't enough information to post accurately, but I would c/c the flop and c/r the turn after I hit a pair. At that point you need to focus on winning the pot. If called, bet out if you improve, c/c if you don't.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:35 AM

It kind of sucks you got caught with this in the big blind.
I probably agree you have to bet this on the flop. You must give the other players a chance to fold. This also serves to build a bigger pot if you hit so the other players find it harder to release. When you hit the seven on the turn you definately want to bet. You will now be heads up with a lot of outs. Sometimes you are going to be in these situations where the other guy may also have a seven with a better kicker and you make him release with aggressiveness. You will loose bigger pots by doing this but you will get some good loose action by doing it and win much petter pots when those outs do come.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:19 AM

A good player would pull his sunglasses down and give the guy a hand-on-the-chin, Moneymaker stare.

Oh, it's online? Crap.

I would bet the flop. If I am raised and get several callers I might even three-bet. Then, on the turn, having picked up some outs, I would most likely lead again.

NT
Old 11-29-2004, 03:44 AM

You should bet the flop, because you may win it there, or on the turn if someone just calls with a gutshot, or a pair. If you get raised, DONT lead the turn when you make a pair. Yes you have more outs, and that is good, but you will not win it with a bet, and are almost assuredly behind--with your oppoenent not folding. If you really put him on a draw, then I would check call the river as well, inducing a bluff.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:57 AM

5 players, unraised pot, out of position = you played it fine. If there is a better way, it's not much better.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there isn't enough information to post accurately, but I would c/c the flop and c/r the turn after I hit a pair. At that point you need to focus on winning the pot. If called, bet out if you improve, c/c if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably the best line with betting out on the flop and calling down and the way you played it close second options. Do yourself a favor, if you play with the same opponents for large periods of time, don't play this the same way every time...flush draws with an overcard/pair come up to often and your hand is so good here that you cant do too much to destroy your high EV (except folding, of course).