Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 01:26 AM

Default CO w/AK

Bay101 $40-80. Folded to guy on my right who raised. I was next in the cutoff with AK and called. The button folded as prognosticated, the small blind folded, the big blind called, and three of us saw this flop: K-8-8 rainbow. They both checked and I checked. The turn was a five. The big blind bet out, the middle guy called, and I called. The river was a 3. The big blind bet out, the middle guy called, and I called. The big blind mucked. The middle guy showed A5. AK good.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Re: CO w/AK

I like it a lot except for the lack of a 3-bet preflop, even if you do know that the button is folding.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:32 AM

with all the hands he could have entered for a raise here this hand wasn't worth just one bet/raise?

i'm assuming you have a strong reason for not doing so...

but given that you hadn't shown aggression would he really be going for a c/r on this flop? assuming he was really just checking this through... why must the bb be betting a missed c/r on the turn? maybe i'm being short-sighted, but i can't see another reason to miss a turn raise here... or on yet another river blank?

enlighten! :-)
Old 11-24-2004, 01:35 AM

Tommy,

When someone hires you to coach them, do you teach them this weak-tight calling station crap? Or do you teach them more old-school Tommy style?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:50 AM

Hi Tommy, this hand is terrible. I like the flop check but every other street was bad.
-James
Old 11-24-2004, 01:58 AM

With three players and a flop of K-8-8 Tommy is either way ahead or way behind, betting the flop will only make worse hands fold and better hands will c/r or wait till the turn. As he is in last position he can prevent the turn from being checked around aswell. So basically tommy is slowplaying so one of his opponents can pick up a second best hand or attempt to buy the pot.
I don't like to just call this river though- i think a raise is in order here with some potential for both callers.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 AM

Did BB put off some sort of tell that made you think he had a 8? How come you didn't bet the flop, and then dump if BB check-raised you two on the turn? At the very least, if you were confident that BB didn't have an 8, how come you didn't raise the river?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:00 AM

i can't imagine not raising this river.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't imagine not raising this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. but then again i know nothing
Old 11-24-2004, 02:05 AM

i'm familiar w/ the way ahead/behind scheme... but this hasn't been 3-bet and he hasn't previously shown aggression and it's not headsup...

i suppose it's conceivable this extracted maximum value... that had he raised preflop this would have played out differently, had he bet on the flop or raised the river he wouldn't have made any more money...

but i also can't help shaking the feeling this was excessively passive... but maybe that's just my inner LAG speaking