Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Call down or forget it? HG 20/40

Hawaiian Gardens 20/40

I am unknown to the table and playing very tight. Villian limps from MP. Folded to me in the BB, I have K6o. I rap.

Villian is a true LAG - sees 40% of flops, and he is running over the table. Before the flop comes, I know that if I check, he will bet any 2 cards, and most likely will follow up on the turn and river if I don't play back. I also know that limping defines his hand somewhat - he would openraise with anything I would play from that position.

Flop is AA9 rainbow.

I check, he bets.

Call down?
Old 12-31-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Call down or forget it? HG 20/40

[ QUOTE ]
Hawaiian Gardens 20/40

I am unknown to the table and playing very tight. Villian limps from MP. Folded to me in the BB, I have K6o. I rap.

Villian is a true LAG - sees 40% of flops, and he is running over the table. Before the flop comes, I know that if I check, he will bet any 2 cards, and most likely will follow up on the turn and river if I don't play back. I also know that limping defines his hand somewhat - he would openraise with anything I would play from that position.

Flop is AA9 rainbow.

I check, he bets.

Call down?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? There are 3.5 SB in the pot.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:57 PM

I definitely consider it if I have two overcards to the 9. With only one, it probabaly becomes more prudent to fold, but it's close. It also depends somewhat on the dynamic between me and this particular opponent.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:58 PM

i had to ponder over this one a bit, but i think youre better off just mucking and moving on. im sure hes the type of guy who will play any ace and may have very well flopped trips.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:10 PM

Because if he has the best hand folding is a mistake.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:09 PM

"It also depends somewhat on the dynamic between me and this particular opponent."

This was actually a big part of my decision. We did not have a dynamic at that point, he had a lot of money in front of him, and he was playing a lot of pots. His bets and raises conveyed almost no information about his hand, whereas my decisions (folding a lot) were highly correlated to my hands (they were bad). So, by calling down with K-high, I could force him to become more predictable (against me), while becoming less predictable myself. Plus I might have the best hand, and if so he had little chance of catching up (6 outs twice or less, with a K redraw).

But a lot of the informational stuff was dependant upon him being observant. I didn't know if he would notice my play or not, so I folded.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw.

Sparks
Old 12-31-2004, 04:51 PM

Sparks - were you there last night? If you were at the table closer to the service area (further from the brush), the villian was in seat 6. I really hesitated before folding, but I did.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:15 PM

Hey Doubling,
I was at the next table over, Table 2. I looked over at your table a few times, and don't remember who was in seat 6. I do remember seat 9 had a pretty nice tower of chips going.

As far as your K6 hand, as I said above, I'd muck it most likely. But I have been accused of being a bit on th weak side, at times. With all the maniacs in California, I've been focusing on value a lot. And, in my 95 hours of play in december, it's been one of my best months ever. I made more than I did during the 175 hours I spent working for the man at my job this month [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sparks
Old 01-01-2005, 05:47 PM

I think its a muck, he could have a crap hand like k8 and have you beat. There has got to be a better spot than this against the guy. wait till you at least hit bottom pair lol.