Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 AM

Default THFAP vs. SSH

I have SSH, THFAP and TOP (I have couple of other books also but currently reading just 2+2).

I have studied SSH because I play in micros but yesterday was flipping trough THFAP's loose section and it said it might be better to just call bigger unsuited hands like AQo, AJo and not raise with them when theres lot of callers before you.

SSH gives them a clear raise and I always raise them in 0.5/1. I was wondering that is the advice in THFAP meant to against opponents who play loose but not terrible after the flop AND SSH's advice when you play with people who are terrbile the whole way?! If they are horrible players, you lose too much value by not raising?

Am I getting the thinking right?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: THFAP vs. SSH

I've read that book and also play your limit and I have done extreamly well...

I think the reason for raising is because of this ...

Lets say one good play does raise with something like JJ, you'd be making a mistake calling a raise with something like AQ offsuit ...

but since there are other players in the pot calling with other hands like KT suited and such you want to build up the pot to give yourself odds in playing your AQ and hitting your A.

You build up the pot when its cheep so you can chase for bigger bets..

Tell me what you think as I am fairly new myself
Old 06-27-2005, 01:59 AM

I missed your tournament question, and this is a bit more complicated my thoughts would be that even if you knew that the players are bad, you might now want to call or re raise these hands for value because you need to conserve your chips. Unless you are certain you are a fav. And if your the type of player who puts a tournament on the line on coin flips .. early on then go right ahead. But I would tend to just smooth call at most ...

Alot of the times I would just fold and wait for a better time to try to double up when I more than a coin flip fav.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I missed your tournament question,

[/ QUOTE ]

what tournament question? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 02:03 AM

I was wondering that is the advice in THFAP meant to against opponents who play loose but not terrible after the flop

that one ....
Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering that is the advice in THFAP meant to against opponents who play loose but not terrible after the flop

that one ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. You misunderstood me. I thought that THFAP = Texas holdem for advanced players --> nothing to do with tournaments.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:13 AM

I see...

In that case .. re raising or raising something like an AQs for value might now be such a great idea because you won't have weak hands in there ... and even if you do ..

the money is made when bad players go to far with their hands good loose players won't go to far and will make you pay when they do hit so your losing money... as a bad player might end up paying up the difference ...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lets say one good play does raise with something like JJ, you'd be making a mistake calling a raise with something like AQ offsuit ...

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this a mistake? You have 2 overcards to his pair so this would be a race situation with you as a slight underdog. At the micro online limits there are far too many players willing to pay you off with their jacks if you flop your A or Q to make folding a bad play.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

that one ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. You misunderstood me. I thought that THFAP = Texas holdem for advanced players --> nothing to do with tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

The correct abreviation is HPFAP.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:57 AM

This thread should help you out with your question though

I dont want to get into why some of the advice in THIS thread is wrong, so that link saves me time and probably says it better than I could.