Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Favorite ignorances

Chime in with your own!

The three types of favorite ignorance: 1) you don't know and wish you did, but probably without having to work at it for even a second; 2) you don't know and don't wanna know; 3) something's value seems not at all intrinsic, but almost entirely social to you -- games and sports are easy examples; I guess you could call this social ignorance. If you wanted to.

1. Ballet -- super cool for about one minute, then awful.

2. Opera -- One of my most prized dislikes that I don't want to learn anything more about. Not one second of being any less than awful

3. Faulkner -- Even my long sentences don't go on for three pages without a comma or a period, and he seems very overwrought. I know I should read more of him to have a better knowledge of American literature, but I can't bring myself to do it. Frankly, I hate his stuff.

4. Football -- too many breaks in the action; I don't wanna learn more so I can understand what makes the game really exciting, and don't apologize. This is a boring game, to me.

5. Female-written poetry -- I've never found a female poet I consistently liked.

6. Female-written fiction -- Read a bit of it, and liked some of it, but not much, and have actively disliked a lot that I've bumped into. Never picked up a Wharton, Bronte, etc. Frankly, fiction by women authors often feels claustrophobic, overworked, and trivial to me.

7. Local politics -- I don't care who runs for the school board, unless I hear word that they're a creationist or religious nut, in which case I'll vote against.

8. Rap and Pop music -- I'm fine with knowing very little about it and sometimes wish I knew less.

9. Celebrity culture -- screw celebrities and the magazines, t.v. shows, and even fans who love them. There, I said it, now kick me out of America. This goes with #10.

10. The Condition of the President's Dog -- I don't care what George Bush, or any president, ate for lunch yesterday, and I don't need to see it on the front page of the paper. Endless fawning coverage of the Chief Executive's every fart is dumb and dull. I have further complaints about this worshipful, awed sort of thing turning people into idols, and that being unhealthy and maybe even partisan, but will just end this one right here.

11. Religious occasions -- who cares? Not me. If I'm not interested in your religion, why would I be interested in its ceremonial particulars?

12. Fixing stuff. I could learn more about working on cars or fixing plumbing or such -- but I don't want to. I hate paying people to do it for me, but not as much as I hate learning it, and doing it, myself. I can change my oil and my filters in my car, and handle my tires; that's good enough for me.

And those are the first ones that came to mind.