Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-31-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Happy new year - politics posters!

Hi,
As we approach a new year, there is the time for celebration, but also the time for reflection.

As I was reading through some posts today, and saw how they ranged from far right to far left, from substance to complete nonsense [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], I thought back at an episode a decade ago.

I was in a dictatorship working for an independent aid organization. The government was somewhat dependant upon the aid we provided, but also would prefer to not have any foreigners staying there. Many opposition politicians had been killed or imprisoned, so not many citizens dared to state their opinions.

One day, a woman said that one of the opposition leaders wanted to meet me. I agreed on time and place (a crowded street corner). I then instructed a group of foreigners which I trusted, to go visit a famous building just nearby the meeting point (the authorities were always less inclined to do something wrong when there were foreigners nearby).

I dressed like a local citizen (to such a degree that nobody noticed I was a foreigner) and I felt relatively certain that I had gotten there unnoticed. He approached me, and we started talking.

After introducing eachother and a few minutes of chatting, I looked around and got an alarming feeling. Too much police were in the streets, even more than normal. To my amazement, my fellow foreigners had noticed the same and acted. One of them blocked the way of a group of policemen heading in our direction, starting to ask them a lot of loud obnoxious questions etc.. Other policemen rushed towards the scene, and me and the opposition leader managed to escape.

We got to a location where we felt safe, and I felt that I had executed bad judgement for putting him at risk by accepting the meeting invitation, and said: "In reality, there is nothing I can do for you. Meeting me can only lead to harm for you.". Then he said: " I just wanted somebody from abroad to listen to our message." I responded that I was aware of his message and if I could do anything at all I would do so, but since I would always be under surveillance my options were limited. He then said a sentence I will never forget, and I hope you carry with you into the new year: "We don't expect any help. Knowing that somebody know our opinion is motivation for us to keep fighting, and this is now achieved".

As we approach 2006, the country is still a brutal dictatorship, and opposition leaders are still killed and imprisoned, but they are getting stronger and stronger and hopefully 2006 will be the year the regime collapses. Why is it growing so strongly? Because despite the fact that other aspects of life in the country is quite good and the only thing they lack is freedom of speech, this is so valuable for people that they are willing to risk their lives to achieve it.

Think of, as you post your politics posts in 2006 without having to consider if your opinions are the same as your leader, how lucky you are to possess the valuable asset of free speech; and send some thoughts of sympathy (or other aid if you are able) to the brave men and women still risking their lives fighting to achieve it.

Happy new year to you all and the best wishes for you and your families!