Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Driving after drinking moderately; or, how do you know where .08 is?

I was in conversation with some friends and the subject of drunk driving came up. We all agreed that it is a terribly irresponsible thing to do (we used more explatives than this, but you get the idea).

The funny thing was that none of us exactly knew where the line between having "been drinking, but still fine to drive" and "legally drunk" was.

To the best of my knowledge, I think from high school health class, the average man processes about 1 drink per hour. So, my logic is that with more than 2 "unprocessed drinks" in you, that you shouldn't drive.

Am I anywhere near correct? Is there a better way of figuring this out?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Driving after drinking moderately; or, how do you know where .08 is?

here is a chart from the Dept of Health and Human Services. But, all it could take is one drink - so I don't risk it.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Driving after drinking moderately; or, how do you know where .08 is?

[ QUOTE ]
here is a chart from the Dept of Health and Human Services. But, all it could take is one drink - so I don't risk it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that "all it could take is one drink" but I also see this type of thinking as a problem. People drink at bars and they drive home for the most part afterwards, that's a fact possibly a sad one for some people who have lost loved ones to drunk driving accidents. I think people should have some way of figuring out whether they are over the legal limit WITHOUT involving the police.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 PM

I always break out grand turismo and see how i drive. if i do pretty well, then i hit the road...
Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that "all it could take is one drink" but I also see this type of thinking as a problem. People drink at bars and they drive home for the most part afterwards, that's a fact possibly a sad one for some people who have lost loved ones to drunk driving accidents. I think people should have some way of figuring out whether they are over the legal limit WITHOUT involving the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy a personal breathalyzer. If the chart is not good enough and this is a big concern, I would think this is a good option.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Driving after drinking moderately; or, how do you know where .08 i

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy a personal breathalyzer. If the chart is not good enough and this is a big concern, I would think this is a good option.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wanted to get one of these because I thought it would be fun to play with when I was drunk. Apparently you have to have stopped drinking for 30 minutes before the results are accurate. That sucks.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always break out grand turismo and see how i drive. if i do pretty well, then i hit the road...

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought I was the only one who did this.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, all it could take is one drink - so I don't risk it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wendy Hamilton? Is that you?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal Disclaimer: I'm not a big drinker anymore. I was when I was in school, but I never drove then anyway.

I'm mostly curious about how you guys make the call for yourselves as to whether you are able to drive or not. Does everybody just say "Well, one drink down, I'm not driving tonight?"

If your answer to that is, use common sense, then I guess I'm looking for what your "common sense" rule is.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 PM

as I understand it, .08 is not gospel. at .08 and above, it's automatic, but you still can get tagged if your driving is impared and you blow below that number.