Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 12:52 PM

Default raising in loose- passive pre-flop games

i have been wondering about this alot and i see very little specific advice out there about this.

it seems like so many of the no-limit games i play are pretty loose-passive before the flop.

i was wondering what hands people would raise with from the button and specifically the blinds.

the blinds seem very tricky. you act last before the flop but then you act last the next 3 rounds..... button is pretty straight-forward, although i find there isn't that much out there on no-limit loose-passive pre-flop games (which seem to proliferate). most advice seems to assume you are first to the pot.

has anyone given alot of thought to this? assume 4-5 callers.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: raising in loose- passive pre-flop games

I find that since I play a TAG sytle of game that I can steal lots and cbets take down most of the remainder of hands. So if you get 5 callers I try to do a bit more than a pot size bet.... this works well because I do the same with big hands from the same position. Hopefully you get one of the loose guys wanting to police you when you are on a big hand.

If one or two callers I like cbets assuming no face cards on board....(again I lead out with sets and big overpairs to be consistent) seems to work better if there is a reason to pot it post flop like a flush draw.

When you get into a table that is that loose passive you should be the reason they need to change styles by punishing their limping ways! This works best from the blinds as many of them will give that more credit since you will be OOP post flop. I think this is also a good way to really increase your bb/100 as I only need to do this once an hour to be worthwhile if there are 4-5 limpers... watch out for the rocks that might be lurking with big hands though!

Guin