Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Festa al Lago....Gigabet is weak tight at heart.

[ QUOTE ]
I had 72o,

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:36 AM

err... what doyou think about checck raising the turn?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:02 AM

hi Gigabet,

My problem with this is that it is a BB-SB confrontation. Even the tightest players muscle up there. Surely Dan Harrington knows he is up against a creative, aggresive opponent. Perhaps his raise was just for info and potentially a free showdown? Or maybe he was playing position with a marginal hand? Without some ungodly read, this fold seems unthinkable to me.

also- dan had position on you preflop. I don't know how aggresive he was playing, but perhaps he would have raised your sb limp with 33 and position?

oh and did you really have 72o? lol, wow!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 AM

Why not reraise Dan on the flop... you went ahead and bet the turn anyway. (Dan is not going to just call you... he will bet/raise or fold). What was your image at the table? How have you played recently, and how had you been playing from the small blind (regardless of the cards you played from SB)?

I think that Dan is defending his blind, playing his position on you and backing it up with his tight image... Are you the only two in the hand? If so, and if he had JJ, TT he would definitely raise pf, and probably w/ 33 too if it is just you two. IMO, you folded best hand... but you're gigabet and I am a novice...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
 is offline

Why are you overbetting the pot on the flop giga? That way you build a monster pot, but you are not willing to put all your chips in with top two, heads up. You must think about this before betting or not?

If you do think he is not going to pay you something if he is beat you can just check it down, fold to a bet or call a induced bluff on the river. Urgh but weak tight.

My line: 1/3 of the pot on the flop as a "feeling" bet. You are not giving him the right odds for any weak draw and you don't tell him anything about your hand. Heads up he is going to raise with top or middle pair and some very good draws like KQ. I call his raise on the flop. The four is not dangerous, so i show maximum strength checkraising to a third of your stacks. Now the pressure is on him.
If he then is still in there he has trips and i don't pay any more on the river or to a reraise on the turn.

But back to your line. I see Dan playing this way with JT, J3, J4, T3 and 33. JJ and TT he would raise preflop and there is just one combination left of each so take them out.

There are 27 combination you dominate with over 95% and only 3 combinations where you are a 91% underdog. How can you fold? Aha, the answer is in the title of the post ... :-)

I bet he had T3 and got away lucky.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not reraise Dan on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask the same thing, and I think you might have given away the strenght of your hand by just calling.

Calling on the flop seems to say you want a cheap showdown. But you didn't want this to be too obvious so you aggressively (block) betted the turn. Harrington read this and bluff raised you.

Or he simply had 33 and you were right...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:21 AM

I understand where Gig is coming from... Harrington is clearly trying to jack up the pot size here (I get VERY suspicious when people raise the flop AND turn). Also given his situation in the tournament a fold doesn't hurt him too badly but getting stacked, well, kind of does. Regardless, I would have gotten all of my chips in there, call it a leak [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 10:30 AM

I can't put him on 33 after the flop raise no matter how much I try, but he might just play it that way vs. a LAG. I think I'm willing to go for broke vs. J3 here, but I realize you think your edge is greater. nh. Almost as nice as the 72o.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not reraise Dan on the flop... you went ahead and bet the turn anyway. (Dan is not going to just call you... he will bet/raise or fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't do this, but the more I think about it the more I like this line.

Are there problems with reraising? Are there better ways to get value out of this hand when you're ahead, and/or lose less chips when behind?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not reraise Dan on the flop... you went ahead and bet the turn anyway. (Dan is not going to just call you... he will bet/raise or fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't do this, but the more I think about it the more I like this line.

Are there problems with reraising? Are there better ways to get value out of this hand when you're ahead, and/or lose less chips when behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to know your opponent. Calling could be correct against a weak opponent I guess, but not against Action Dan