Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 06:30 AM

Default What hand is worth raise with in LP

I play at 10 tables 0.25$ / 0.50$ limit HE and only play tables with at least 65% average of the players entering the pot so there is always at least 5SB in the pot preflop.

I guess i play a bit too tight sometimes. I raise preflop with AA and KK in all positions and the rest of the hands i just call preflop.

Soo my question is:
What kind of hands has a good EV to raise with in LP preflop if no one else has raised and you are last to act.

What are your requirements for raising preflop in a loose game with alot of fishes?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:41 AM

Default Re: What hand is worth raise with in LP

You are DEFINATELY being too tight if you only call with hands worse than KK in any position.

There are plenty of books that will give you starting hand guidelines that are easy to follow until you get a feel for yourself.

-Sent
Old 08-20-2004, 06:51 AM

The hands I play is:

AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT
AK
AQ

Are all these hands that you should raise with preflop at these tables?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:59 AM

If A/A and K/K are the only hands that you are raising pre-flop, you are allowing too many people to see the flop for cheap. Now I know that you will get more callers at the micro-limit tables than you would at $10/$20, but if you only raise on those two hands, you are just asking to get outdrawn time after timre. Not to mention that when you only raise with Aces or Kings, you are giving away too much information to the other players.

Raises are not just to get more money in the pot. They can be used to get people to fold when you want to be heads up or shorthanded. They can be used to give others the impression that you are a loose/aggressive player. There are all kinds of reasons to raise pre-flop, even at the micro-limit tables.

Now do not take this advice and start raising with anything. If you do, you will get hammered time and time again. However, there are way too many examples or reasons for raising pre-flop for me to list them here. If I were you I would go out and buy some books and read up on what they say about starting hands. "Hold Em Poker" and "Hold Em Poker For Advanced Players" by David Sklansky are two good books to read.

Finally, I would say watch what hands other players raise with. And ALWAYS take into account what kind of players you are playing with. Are they rocks, are they maniacs? Will they fold decent hands to a raise? Are they there to gamble or to have fun? Are they a beginner or do they have experience? Are they on tilt from a bad beat or are they level headed? All these questions can help in determining which hands to raise and which hands to limp with. Hope this helped.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2004, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The hands I play is:

AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT
AK
AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Read a book that isn't written by Phil Helmuth.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 AM

From late position in these type of games SSH recommends:

AA-88, any 2 suited ten or higher, A9s-A8s, K9s, AK-AJ, KQ

Ed Miller also makes a very good arguement that not raising with a hand like ATs in this situation is a far bigger mistake than calling with garbage cards. For example, if you win with ATs with 6 other players in the pot, but hadn't raised, then you just cost yourself 6 bets. On the other hand if you call pre-flop with 72o and then fold on the flop you only cost yourself one bet.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:36 AM

Way way too tight, when people dont raise they are saying I dont have a premium hand.

When you dont raise you are letting the blinds get a free/cheap look at the flop.

If I am in late position and no one has raised I will raise with hands like K10s QJs KJo.

With no raises I will assume that I am not dominated and that I have the best or second best hand. This means the blinds have to pay to play crap like 72o, they arent getting a free ride.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From late position in these type of games SSH recommends:

AA-88, any 2 suited ten or higher, A9s-A8s, K9s, AK-AJ, KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP: These are just the hands you should raise with. It looks like the hands you're playing (not even raising) are a subset of these. In addition, you should be limping with more, i.e. all the other pairs, Axs, and most suited connectors.

Basically play many more hands -- this also makes postflop play harder. If you're going to have trouble with this, slowly start working in more hands and read winning low-limit holdem for starters.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed Miller also makes a very good arguement that not raising with a hand like ATs in this situation is a far bigger mistake than calling with garbage cards. For example, if you win with ATs with 6 other players in the pot, but hadn't raised, then you just cost yourself 6 bets. On the other hand if you call pre-flop with 72o and then fold on the flop you only cost yourself one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the single most valuable lesson I learned from the pre-flop section of SSH. My way of thinking about PF raises was off. When thinking about whether to raise PF, I was always thinking about whether I was a favorite (50%+) to win this hand, not whether I would win more than my fair share of the time. My PFR% has almost doubled (to about 8.5ish). Good stuff.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:05 AM

I want to thank you all for helping me out with this.
I knew it was wrong somehow, but now I got a better understanding why.