Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Manual Drivers: Are they better drivers?

I was just reading the flash to pass thread and have been thinking about this for a while:

1) Do you drive a stick?
2) Do you think stick drivers are better drivers?

For me:

1) Yes, for my whole driving career. (7 years)
2) Yes because they pay more attention while driving. For example: I pay more attention to my speed because of the gear I'm in. I rarely eat while driving, and only use the cell phone when I'm stopped at a long light (stopped traffic) or driving in the same gear on the freeway. I have 1 speeding ticket from when I was 16, and no accidents FYI.

I've just always had a bias towards "slush pump" drivers. Anyone else feel the same?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Manual Drivers: Are they better drivers?

Absolutely.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-11-2005, 07:27 PM

I think it's more people who enjoy the driving experience and appreciate cars tend to be better drivers. And those people tend to like to experience drving with a stick.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:28 PM

Yes. I'd say stick drivers put more effort into learning how to drive, and therefore are probably better drivers in general.

I remember learning out on Tower Rd. and the surrounding neighborhoods some 10 years ago. My mom would have me stop facing up on a hill and we'd practice things like slowly driving forward without rolling back first, or holding yourself stationary with nothing but the clutch. These lessons have served me well and I never would have learned this type of stuff if my mom had thrown me in a stick and said "have at it."
Old 07-11-2005, 07:29 PM

1. Yes.

2. Yes. But I don't really pay attention to what gear I'm in. I just shift when I hit 3k RPMs or so. I'm a better driver but I think driving a stick gives you more of a feel of "race car driver" and thus resulted in 2 tickets in 1 year after getting the car.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 PM

I've learned how to drive a stick, and have ridden plenty of large motorcycles, and I think it has all made me a better driver.

However I prefer my automatic transmission that is in my pickup. I hate when people think that manuals are the only way to go, and anyone who doesn't drive one is a "sissy". Ok, have fun shifting and clutching all day when you are in bad traffic. I just want to get from point A to point B.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to get from point A to point B.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about point D man. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Automatic drivers are sissies, though.

I drive in Atlanta traffic quite frequently and it's not a big deal. Especially since outside of traffic I get to own those lovely suburban twisties.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've learned how to drive a stick, and have ridden plenty of large motorcycles, and I think it has all made me a better driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about a stick car, but I think motorcycle riders have the ability and consciousness, in general, to be far better drivers. I say in general to exclude the jackass kids on their sport bikes who are still at the age when they think they are invincible. But, for most of the rest of motorcycle riders, the demands of doing that are so great that you're forced to become aware of far more things than the average car driver because you're so vulnerable.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM

I think this question is incredibly deceptive.

According to how many accidents they get into, non-elderly women are by far the best drivers, but how do you define "best"? Do they really turn corners better, etc.? Probably, with all their own flaws, they're just not as much macho jerks as guys are.

Young guys may drive better, but they take more chances, so even if they're better drivers, they could come out as "worse" when you ask yourself -- do I really want to be on the road next to this guy? Do I care if he can do Starsky and Hutch moves and is obviously a "better" driver, or do I just want to get home to my family tonight?

I think guys and better drivers are drawn to sticks, because they make you consciously drive more and pay attention to the road more, which is a good thing. However, that's also the group more likely to let their ego get into their driving, and more natural risk takers.

Soccer Mom doesn't want to test the limits of her Volvo station wagon, and even though she probably handles her car worse than a lot of 22 year old hotshot boys, for the purposes that count, she probably IS a better driver. No mad skillz, but being a good driver is about a lot more than that. Especially the important/boring parts.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:38 PM

IMO, it's pretty clear that there's a positive correlation between good driving and owning a manual transmission. I don't think buying your girlfriend a stick will make her a better driver though.