Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Logic in an atheistic worldview

[ QUOTE ]
atheism is a hope that we are insignifficant, purposeless beings that are going to bite the dust soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is catagorially false. Atheism has nothing to do with "hope" for anything. It's simply the the lack in any belief in a specific supernatural explanation for the universe.

Let me put it this way, I don't think Christianity is a reasonable explanation for the universe. Furthermore, I have never come across any supernatural belief system that is either. All atheists feel this way and this is what makes us atheists. Nothing more.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want an exercise in futility try getting them to admit the universe is irrational. Don't bother pointing out how many atheist philosophers have said so.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll bite. In what sense is the universe "irrational" and what "atheist philosophers" say that it is?

I have a feeling they weren't using the word "irrational" in the same sense that I do when I apply it to the universe.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
atheism is a..

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one ending for a sentence starting that way. ".... claim there is no god". To think otherwise is like believing that all the people on the subway are going to your home. Nope, they're all just on the subway, how, why, etc, can't be derived in a general case statement for their presense on the subway.

There is no 'race' of atheists' or 'atheists creed' or ' atheistic personality' or any other grouping.

"theism is a hope that we are insignificant, purposeless beings that can only have meaning in our life if there is a Casper-the-Great in the sky who will punish us for coveting our neighbours mule." That would be a sad excuse for a meaningful life, fit best for sado-maso pairing.

luckyme, hoping your next few high school years cheer you up a bit.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:00 AM

But it does mean that you believe that we are in fact insignifficant, purposeless beings, and that when we die the dust is our home. Is this what you believe?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:02 AM

I'm as happy as a beaver. I'm glad I don't believe in that sad excuse for a meaningful life that you painted.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In what sense is the universe "irrational" and what "atheist philosophers" say that it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most, if not all, existentialist philosophers. It is irrational if there is no purpose or meaning to it, if it is just the accidental twitch in cosmic nothingness. Many responses stated an inanimate object can't be irrational and no amount of explaining would move them.

The real kicker is when one or two seem to agree but then say something like "Why does the universe have to have meaning?".
Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it does mean that you believe that we are in fact insignifficant, purposeless beings, and that when we die the dust is our home. Is this what you believe?

[/ QUOTE ]
As an atheist I have no reason to believe/expect anything more. I accept this as a reality I can't change.

You could say I'm serendipitous about it.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 AM

If you're really so curious, take an epistemology class so you can learn some of the "standard" views of how both theists and atheists alike claim to know anything.
Or maybe bother to read some books.

There are as many answers for how we know as there are people claiming to have answers. And then there are the few and far between, theist and atheist alike, who know they know nothing.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 AM

It's unfortunate the concept of "level-confusion" and emergent properties hasn't become better known yet. Attributes at one level of a complex system don't carry through to other levels. Thinking 'selfish-genes' result in 'selfish people' is a classic example.

Here, whether the universe is irrational or has purpose or meaning is irrelevant to whether lilacs or cod or people's lives have any of those qualities. Attributes reside at the level they are found. Entities at higher levels develop attributes not found at lower levels, so to look for them there is like wondering why flour doesn't swell up in the bag.

luckyme
Old 12-28-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

who know they know nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do see the contradiction in this, right?

I believe true knowledge is possible because God exists and has made us capable of knowledge. Our mistake is either that we know nothing or we know everything.