Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Pokerroom.com SNGs: $33 vs. $54

I just moved up from the 33s on pokerroom to the 54s. Can anyone comment on the differences? My first impressions:

- $2000 chips vs. $1500 leaves room for a lot more play. One bad beat doesn't cripple you. I think I like the extra chips.
- Do the blind levels take longer? It seems that by the time I end up heads up the blinds are still 100/200. Lots more real "poker" going on in the late stages of the tournament.
- Players are tighter/more careful...checking down TP/TK, flush with a paired board, etc. on the river...just calling with trips for fear of being outkicked, etc.
- Still some bad players. Not sure how many yet. I'm wondering if there is a level out there where there aren't bad players.
TIA for your comments.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Pokerroom.com SNGs: $33 vs. $54

I'm bored at work, so please don't take offense at me giving you are hard time.

Are you crazy? You've seen what happens to "How are the $33s vs $55s on Party" posts, and you are looking for an answer on Pokerroom? If you get a decisive answer, don't be fooled. If everyone played Pokerroom you'd get huge disagreement.

Also, I'd put the quotes around "real" instead of around "poker."
Old 12-13-2005, 06:05 PM

I don't have extensive experience with either, but my impression is that the difference in the competition's skill between the 33s and the 54s is pretty minor. There's nowhere near the vast gulf in skill level you find between the 22s and the 33s.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM

-"Also, I'd put the quotes around "real" instead of around "poker." "-

Damn this is a tough crowd! But you're right... "real" poker.

Okay, sorry but I'm not really looking for a comparison b/n the skill level of the players. I just threw that in but I should have left it out. My real question is on the difference in format. How do the extra chips and longer blind levels affect your play, if at all?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:18 PM

More post flop play.

Chances are better post flop players will do better, and games will take longer.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:25 PM

Ok, since I was a jerk, I'll try and give an decent answer. That big a jump in chips should make for a lot slower play, but higher ROI if you are good with more chips. I don't think the ROI will jump enough to overcome the difference in time, but you are playing for more money so you probably should still make more $/hr assuming you are more than marginally beating the game.