Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Jeffage\'s Atlantic City Trip Report (Long)

Well, this is from Veterans Day weekend and I meant to get around to this before now, but here it goes. I am running absolutely horribly online, but live has been good to me with better games (and for me) a much more enjoyable time. Due to unexpected work complications, I get to AC very late Thursday night. I called the Taj and told them to hold my room b/c I was going to be getting there late, figuring it would be no problem since it was a Thursday night. Well, I was wrong...due to a convention in town, they drastically oversold the hotel and I was sent out to a Comfort Inn in Pleasantville (which they covered). I was tempted to just go to bed at that point, but I came to play.

It's about 11 pm and I sit down for some 20-40 hold em at Taj. Game is good (place is dead) but I'm not getting much in the way of cards. The whole table seems to be on tilt with 6 way action for two or three bets being common. I quit at about 4 am up like $150. Go to Pleasantville and after haggling with the guy at the desk, he gives me and my friends a room with double beds (they initially had only king beds which would have been cozy). Room was fine.

On Friday, I went over to Taj hoping a bigger hold em game would start. I sat some 20-40 before getting called for 75-150 stud. This game may be one of the greatest high limit games in the country and I've developed a new passion for stud as late. The game seems to have much less disgusting swings than 80-160 hold em with tons of loose play and fewer tough players/gray spots. I win a mammoth pot with rolled 8's and am pretty much crushing the game. I quit up $4500 to go eat dinner at like 8 pm at that restataurant next to the Baccarat pit (Schaezeride or something, the hotel's 4 star place). I never ate there before but I had lots of comps so treated my friend to dinner. The food is PHENOMENAL. I highly highly recommend it. Me and my friend had the Chateaubriand and some other goodies. EXCELLENT.

Afterwards, I look to play some more 75 stud, but there is now a must move and the game has a number of tough players and I'm tired. So I put my name on 40-80 hold em but there is only one game and no one is getting up. So I play 20-40 and it's a good game again but I only break even in it.

At this point, it's maybe 1 am and I'm ready to go back to our hotel but we decide it would be better to drink and check out some of the smaller rooms. We go over to Resorts but their room is small and mobbed and doesn't look to appealing. So I play some mini baccarat and am promptly separated from $100 in 4 hands instead (with all of the Asian players waiting to see what I bet so they can bet the opposite. I swear, I'm a sure thing in this game).

Anyway, we decide to go over to Showboat. Wow, cool place. Though I go to AC twice a month, I've NEVER been in there. This room is awesome aesthetically. Like the Bellagio with leather seats, luxurious surroundings. It's TRULY sad that this room spreads no higher than 1-2 NL and 2-4 limit. There should be mid limit games here and I hope they market to get them eventually. So anyway, we sit down 1-2 NL and I but in for the max (300). We order a bunch of beers and my friend gets White Russians. The game is wild with 20 being a standard open and lots of callers. Anyway, highlight for me was getting AKd and making it 20 to go. Young barely legal college kid min raises to 40. I see he only has 60 left or so so I just go ahead and push. He has QQ. I win the race when I manage to river an ace and he looks like he's lost a family member. I play good.

Saturday is the day of death. I head over to Borgata and I'm almost content to sit on my huge win. Then I remind myself that I come to play. I sit some 20-40 hold em while on the 40 and 80 lists. I promise myself I will NOT NOT NOT play the 80 unless it is a good game. The 40 is always good. Anyway the 40 list is miles long so I get called for 80 first. Game looks hard so I stay put. I check back later and it has been infused with a few asian guys slinging in yellows like it's their last day on Earth. So I sit. And get murdered. First hand I have AK in the BB and raise after one limper and the SB. UTG now limp reraises. I flop a king and of course lose to red aces. Then it's the 3 outer game for awhile followed by the miss with AK and AQ game. I get stuck big but end up quitting and eating sushi at Mix around 7 pm. Damage bill comes in at 3 grand and I'm a tad irritated, but that's the swings and I sat in a profitable situation. I get the feeling if I stay and play I'm going to get burned and I've had enough anyway. Back to the nation's capital a little annoyed but realizing that UP IS UP. Until next week....

I'll be getting plenty of live play in next month as I will spend two weeks in the city of Las Vegas. I'm thinking about taking a long break from online (maybe till New Years) to run some things through my mind and do a thorough examination of my game which needs to be REAL SHARP to play high online. Hope you all enjoyed, comments welcome.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Jeffage\'s Atlantic City Trip Report (Long)

Nice report....dint know you played stud too
Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 PM

Jeffage, when are you going to be out on Vegas? And are you hitting AC the weekend of Dec. 2 & 3? I'm bummed that I missed the home game (was in AC), but if you're up in AC that December weekend (I'm staying at Borgata), or Vegas Dec. 9-13, we should sit low limits for a while and get some straddle-bet therapy in... nothing quite like it to clear your mind when running bad and remind you that poker should be fun too. I'm not quite rolled for 20/40, but if you convinced me that a game was reaaaaaallly goot, I'd probably sit for a few orbits & take a shot.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:36 PM

Nice report.

How busy was the House of Blues room Saturday night? I only play low limits, so for me those are usually full, but I was just curious if they are starting to fill the whole room.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:24 PM

Jeff,

Nice report.

The Showboat does have a fantastic room. I expect business to pick up in January when the WSOP circuit events hit town.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:45 PM

Great report, I should venture down to AC. As it is I go to Vegas 2-4 times a year when AC is only a days drive away, go figure.

We've got four or five guys going to Vegas the 9-14th - I am in the same boat as MisterKing, (don't play at your level, $15-30 is my upper limit) but would love to sit in a lesser game with both you guys. I might also be convinced to play $20-40. We are staying at MGM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 PM

When is that again? I'll have to mark my calendar and get a room at Taj heh.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2005, 09:23 PM

It was probably about half full...this was like 2:30 am though.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When is that again? I'll have to mark my calendar and get a room at Taj heh.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

http://worldseriesofpoker.com/showboatatlanticcity.asp

Showboat Atlantic City – Nov. 28-Dec. 9, 2005

Harrah's Atlantic City – Feb. 7-17, 2006
Old 11-22-2005, 12:42 AM

Nice report. I almost played the 15/30/45 Stud game at Borgata this weekend but decided against it when I was called because (a) I suck at Stud and (b) the people in the game looked absolutely miserable.