Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-03-2005, 12:55 AM

Default $22: Folding two pair to a small river bet -- too weak?

$20+$2 (real money), hand #1,431,183,411
Brisbane Single Table Tournament, 2 Nov 2005 09:56 PM
View Previous hand for this table.
Seat 1: HERO A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1,120 in chips)
Seat 2: dirty change ($540 in chips)
Seat 4: Joehpman ($1,605 in chips)
Seat 5: pokeychamp ($1,960 in chips)
Seat 7: boobee77 ($1,770 in chips)
Seat 8: bowboy83 ($2,640 in chips)
Seat 9: azakas10 ($1,400 in chips)
Seat 10: Harley07 ($3,965 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
HERO posts blind ($15), dirty change posts blind ($30).

PRE-FLOP
Joehpman folds, pokeychamp calls $30, boobee77 folds, bowboy83 folds, azakas10 calls $30, Harley07 folds, HERO calls $15, dirty change checks.

FLOP (120) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

HERO checks, dirty change checks, pokeychamp checks, azakas10 checks.

TURN (120) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

HERO bets $90, dirty change folds, pokeychamp calls $90, azakas10 folds.

RIVER (300) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

HERO checks, pokeychamp bets $125, HERO folds.

I figure the river was the worst card in the deck.... Villain in this hand was straightforward/solid. He called my turn bet really quickly. I couldn't imagine any hand that I beat that would bet the river except for a possible busted heart flush draw, but that bet screamed "value bet" to me at the time. I think if I overbet the turn, the river might have been easier to play. Does everyone call here? Lead the flop? Lead the river for 100 and fold to a raise? I hate the way I played this hand, and I think it was misplayed on all streets except preflop. Input appreciated.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: $22: Folding two pair to a small river bet -- too weak?

Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 AM

Posting hands sucks when nobody responds unless you bump your post 10 times and beg. I'm trying to improve. Tear me apart, please.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:26 AM

This is probably fine. I don't think he's betting KQ on the river here. I can't imagine many hands you are ahead of.

I don't think a call is TERRIBLE either, because it may be the case that you're ahead more than 30% of the time here. But a fold seems fine.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 AM

Not betting the flop is pretty crazy, what more do you want from a flop?

River is a toss up. I'd call. Besides the hearts bluff, sometimes people make crazy "value bets" with stuff like QT.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:11 AM

I dont mind not leading the flop since you will be first to act everytime. It is possible that he is calling you with a pair of Kings on the turn or even a weak ace of his own. The checkfold on the river isnt too bad but you might want to consider firing a 2nd bullet on the river. I would lean towards betting the river since checking would leave yourself too vulnerable to bluffs. Most players will bet into someone who checks when the board brings a scare card like that so its hard to make a read in this case.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most players will bet into someone who checks when the board brings a scare card like that so its hard to make a read in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe this, then you should check and call. There's no sense in betting to make your opponent fold a worse hand.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 AM

If I said that I'd call a 400 bet on this river more often than 150 against a normal opponent, would you call me a maroon?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:57 AM

FIrst I would have bet the flop, if at least to gather information. Folding on the river isnt bad but if you consistantly bet out throughout the hand than a bet from you on the river would have put the pressure on your opponent. I would not call you a moron for call a $400 bet on the river but this early in the game i would avoid any large pots on a gamble.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First I would have bet the flop, if at least to gather information.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to protect a top pair/mediocre kicker.