Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Pascal\'s Wager and Free Bets

World Health Organization condemns comments made by the Catholic Church (including outright lies by one of the Vatican's most senior cardinals): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3176982.stm

Vatican: Condoms don't stop AIDS from the Guardian Newspaper (UK)
Quotes from the Church and comments by noted AIDS authorities
http://www.womensenews.org/article.c...ontext/archive

Regarding overpopulation, I agree that we currently have enough food if the world chose to distribute it. But the current reality is that countries have to stand on their own feet using their own resources. At present, overpopulation in certain countries is one of the biggest health and environmental threats facing the world today. 1/2 of all rainforest destruction is done by peasant slash and burn farmers. Parts of Africa and Brazil simply dont' have the natural resources to support their current populations, and won't in the near future. By forbidding contraception, even among married couples, the Catholic Church has and is directly contributing to overpopulation and irreversible environmental damage in some of the poorest nations of the world. This is irresponsibility on a huge scale because of some weird, 500 year old ideas this cult have about sex and procreation.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:26 PM

Does your apartment smell of rich mahogany?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 PM

There's also no evidence that kicking you in the balls won't result in you writing me a $5000 check.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:33 PM

I don't believe your mother loves you, so when I say that she wears combat boots, don't get all offended.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We at least have some, if not to non-believers' minds, sufficient, evidence. Where is the least evidence for the the souls of those killed by Xenu the evil galactic ruler millions of years ago inhabiting us?

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your own question right here. To Scientologists, Scientolgists have reasonable evidence and Christians have no evidence.

In fact, this is an excellent comparison. Can you give us any facts that make Christianity more likely to be true than Scientology?

Only atheists are in the priviledged open-minded position that lets them see the entire comedy unfold.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God was killed so long ago, by so many, mocking him now is in a way getting him back to life. You should be glad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This logic can also be applied to corpse-raping.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:43 PM

Formerly the LP,

How much easier it is to direct the “blame” towards the Church. They have their role in the world which is Religion. Governments of the world are the cause of world hunger and the anger as well as the solutions should be directed there. The effects of this Church teaching I have to assume is immaterial. Do you really think folk in the starving States are not using condoms because of the Church’s teachings?

Your point might have some validity theoretically and can be discussed further. I don’t think it is much of an issue though. If I am wrong and the things you suggest are caused by Church teaching, then count me in for further discussion.

In regard to your outdated quotes: I would have to see the comments in their original contexts to give an opinion on them. I don’t trust media accounts of such things.

RJT
Old 11-21-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The effects of this Church teaching I have to assume is immaterial. Do you really think folk in the starving States are not using condoms because of the Church’s teachings?

[/ QUOTE ]
YES!!! Wow, those two statements just blew me away.

It's late now (3am here in Oz) but I'll get back to this tomorrow. But there is much on the web about this, this is a huge issue. There are Catholic groups themselves taking up this fight because of the extreme harm it's causing. No I'm not exaggerating.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To Scientologists, Scientolgists have reasonable evidence and Christians have no evidence.

In fact, this is an excellent comparison. Can you give us any facts that make Christianity more likely to be true than Scientology?

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me any evidence for Xenu and the alleged goings on 70 million years ago.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The effects of this Church teaching I have to assume is immaterial. Do you really think folk in the starving States are not using condoms because of the Church’s teachings?

[/ QUOTE ]
YES!!! Wow, those two statements just blew me away.

It's late now (3am here in Oz) but I'll get back to this tomorrow. But there is much on the web about this, this is a huge issue. There are Catholic groups themselves taking up this fight because of the extreme harm it's causing. No I'm not exaggerating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you. Hadn't realized that. I'll google later so I am updated. To be continuerd then...