Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Catholics less nutty than Protestants: more evidence

100 million plus #9 and #10.

I assure you Sklansky, this is of the utmost importance for those who are serious about saving their souls. Issues that #1 through #8 find critically important in their daily lives are really non-issues in the eyes of God. The issue being discussed here relates directly to the worship that God insists on.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:28 PM

100 million plus #9 and #10.

I assure you Sklansky, this is of the utmost importance for those who are serious about saving their souls. Issues that #1 through #8 find critically important in their daily lives are really non-issues in the eyes of God.

And of that 100 million, a high percentage, if I'm not mistaken, believe your position is wrong. That means that what, maybe 20 million are even ELIGIBLE for heaven?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:48 PM

Everybody on Earth is technically eligible for Heaven. I am sure most of those 100 million are of good faith, and that there are people of good faith outside of that group, plus lots of baptized infants who will die before the age of reason. So more like 300 million give or take. But yes, the rest will probably not go to heaven these days.

Going to Heaven is such a great thing relatively speaking that even if only 1 person in all the population of the world was able to make it and everybody else went to Hell, the existence of the Universe would have been worth it.

This is due to the infinite nature of God and the finiteness of everything else.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:56 AM

See David, I've told you before Peter is a catholic version of Not Ready. It's seen in their limited views of salvation, in the details, and in taking some of their arguments to an extreme to see either logical contradictions in NR's case, or logical/sophistical acrobatics in Peter's.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See David, I've told you before Peter is a catholic version of Not Ready. It's seen in their limited views of salvation, in the details, and in taking some of their arguments to an extreme to see either logical contradictions in NR's case, or logical/sophistical acrobatics in Peter's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me BluffTHIS,

It seems to me that "logical contradictions and logical/sophistical acrobatics" are needed features of a believer in an omniscient, omnipresent, loving god!? It could not be otherwise.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:09 PM

Who is the arbiter of what is "doctrine" and what is "canon law?"
Old 11-20-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is the arbiter of what is "doctrine"

[/ QUOTE ]

The church through definitive statements made by councils of bishops and which are confirmed by the pope, and also the pope himself directly when he makes a rarely used ex cathedra definition of a doctrine.

[ QUOTE ]
and what is "canon law?"

[/ QUOTE ]

A code based, as opposed to law + common law + precedent based, system of rules that detail how the church and the things to do with it, is administered. There are canon lawyers who specialize in such things, and the bishops of each diocese normally decide any disputes in canon law, although certain cases can be appealed to various departments of the Vatican Curia or the Pontifical Commission for the Interpretation of Legislative Texts. A large part of canonical cases deal with petitions for annulments of marriages. Very dry and boring stuff.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assure you Sklansky, this is of the utmost importance for those who are serious about saving their souls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't hijack. This thread is supposed to be about how Catholics are less nutty than Protestants.

If you are going to keep providing evidence that Catholics are in fact more nutty, please start a new thread.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:33 PM

For future reference, which classification do you fall under: heathen, infidel, or apostate?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:17 AM

All three.