Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Non Believers Predominate Heaven? Just Maybe.

[quote Your brain won’t do you any good with your head up Buddha’s a.. anyway. I can insult as well as the next guy.

Sorry for the hi-jack, OP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would I bother putting my head up Buddha's ass? I know as much about Buddha as I do Jesus. Never met either of them. Both fictional as far as I'm concerned.
Just happen to like meditation. Sorry for the perceived insult--i've always talked a lot of smack but dont mean much of it. I know i am full of bs.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:47 PM

No problem.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 PM

But such an atheist -- who felt this would be a good reason for disbelief -- would likely be possessed of an unsophisticated mind. In which case, I'd tend to discount their ability to evaluate the evidence, as well.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:53 PM

Meh, I don't think so. If the non believer was smart, he would be using his power of will to dominate over the weaker moral people of society for his own advantage. This would necessarily lead to some evil but "necessary" actions in his mind.

If the non believer was dumb, chances are he doesn't have any excuse for any of his actions good or bad and does not enter heaven based on this dumb factor alone. There is no "reason" for him to enter heaven.

On the other hand, the dumb believer has the excuse of belief to give some sort of justification for heaven, and hopefully humility as well. His excuse for his actions is that he is dumb and recognizes it and asks God during life to let him in anyway whereas it is too late for the dumb non-believer to ask.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 PM

Atheists are kinda cute sometimes.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:06 PM

Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Experiments and the Milgram Experiment. C.F. Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men for Holocaust comparisons.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 PM

"What do you think about the person who has studied your stuff, and then attributes it to Ken Warren?"

Not nearly as annoyed with him as the non studyer. Especially if, (as in the case with your analogy), I know he will eventually find out the truth.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:58 PM

I just think it's highly comical when people who DO NOT believe in God mention him and heaven.

Am I missing something? If someone doesn't believe in God or heaven, then nobody goes to heaven. Because in their mind, it doesn't exist, nor does God.

In other words, if a non-beliver had a dream or premonition about a dead family member making it to heaven, they should scoff at it. For they would not believe in it at all. They can't say "Well my uncle believed in God, so I guess it's possible for HIM to go to Heaven."

lol.

EDIT: I don't believe in Jargamagook's, and therefore, if someone told me about an encounter they had with a Jargamagook, I'd scoff. Because I'm saying it right now, I do not believe in Jargamagooks!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in Jargamagook's, and therefore, if someone told me about an encounter they had with a Jargamagook, I'd scoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm..what's to scoff at? The experience is very likely real (at least there's no reason to think people are lying). The experience doesn't have to have an external counterpart or there doesn't have to be an external cause at all.
That a different subject than challenging any logical claims made for a belief in Jargma, FSM or a personalassistant diety.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But such an atheist -- who felt this would be a good reason for disbelief -- would likely be possessed of an unsophisticated mind. In which case, I'd tend to discount their ability to evaluate the evidence, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever the subject, the default approach is one of disbelief, it does not require a reason.
a) I'll believe anything until disproven.
b) I'll wait for evidence before believing anything.
Sure it's not as simple as a/b but religion is about the only subject that people who normally use a b approach switch to a. The concept that atheists/agnostics are doing anything 'strange' by wanting evidence is simply misdirection, not always ingenuous.