Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Odd dillema

Would it be OK to call him on it while you still have cards, even though you know you are going to fold?

I say bad etiquette, but probably not unethical.

Similar to someone raising, then you making a point of saying they always raise with good hands while you and others still have cards.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Similar to someone raising, then you making a point of saying they always raise with good hands while you and others still have cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. The point isn't the predictability of the play, it's the outright lie involved.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. The point isn't the predictability of the play, it's the outright lie involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lying is allowed in poker. My point could have easily said "you are a good player, I'm going to fold" or "I gotta call you, cuz you are unlucky". This indicates that you have analyzed the situation AND ARE NOW BROADCASTING YOUR "INFORMATION" TO THE TABLE. You are potentially affecting others in their decision making. That is the ethics/etiquette question. Not whether you should expose a lie.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:11 PM

You shouldn't let these [censored] angle shooters mess up the game. What happens when the angle shooter turns over a big hand and emabarrasses the other player? Does the other player go play somewhere else or does he get pissed off and begins to play better?

You go from having a fun loose (easy) game to a bunch of tight ass rocks and angle shooters and the only one than wins is the rake.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM

This is not an angle. This is the equivalent of an experienced player sitting down and saying that he never played before.

And I don't think this kind of play tightens the game, in fact i think it loosens up the play. If players think he isgiving action they tend to give action as well. He tells them he is playing blind and then turns over a big hand so they decide to try it since it works for him.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it happens all the time, but I don't know why you think its appropriate?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Sure, deception is part of the game. But IMO this is over the line, more in the area of declaring a $100 bet and only putting in $95.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:31 PM

This is not the equivalent of shorting the pot. This is the equivalent of pretending that you are considering a fold when you have the nuts.

The more interesting ethics question is the player who is first to act on a hand who after the flop comes announces that he checked in the dark (when in fact he did no such thing).

Now this a player actually lying about his GAME ACTION. And I see this happen all the time. (also players looking at their cards and then announcing they are playing blind is something I see often -- from players of multiple ethnic backgrounds).
Old 11-04-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not an angle. This is the equivalent of an experienced player sitting down and saying that he never played before.

And I don't think this kind of play tightens the game, in fact i think it loosens up the play. If players think he isgiving action they tend to give action as well. He tells them he is playing blind and then turns over a big hand so they decide to try it since it works for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post should have just been, I am Clueless.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it happens all the time, but I don't know why you think its appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it very inappropriate myself. I was just providing a different common example of the same situation the OP is facing. The situation is whether to divulge strategically important information while a hand is in play.